20.672, Support: General Ling; English Ling: PhD Student, University of Edinburgh

Wed Mar 4 15:27:18 UTC 2009

LINGUIST List: Vol-20-672. Wed Mar 04 2009. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 20.672, Support: General Ling; English Ling: PhD Student, University of Edinburgh

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Luiza Newlin Lukowicz <luiza at linguistlist.org>

Date: 04-Mar-2009
From: Nik Gisborne < n.gisborne at ed.ac.uk >
Subject: General Linguistics; English Linguistics: PhD Student, University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 10:25:45
From: Nik Gisborne [n.gisborne at ed.ac.uk]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=20-672.html&submissionid=207553&topicid=12&msgnumber=1

Institution/Organization: University of Edinburgh
Department: Linguistics and English Language
Web Address: http://www.lel.ed.ac.uk/

Level: PhD

Duties: Research

Specialty Areas: General Linguistics
English Language

We are pleased to announce that the Arts and Humanities Research Council has
awarded The University of Edinburgh significant funding for UK and EU
postgraduate students in
Linguistics & English Language. As a result, this year we are able to offer
funding for 3 studentships for Ph.D. study and 1 for the M.Sc. by research;
awards cover fees and
maintenance. Visit http://www.ppls.ed.ac.uk/postgraduate/PGNews.html#TopStory
for more information.

Supervision is available in most areas of Linguistics, and the synchronic and
diachronic study of English. Applicants are advised that they must have applied
via the University
online applications system in order to be considered for an award (M.Sc. or
Ph.D.). Please ensure that your application to study has been received and
accepted before Monday 13th
April. If you wish to be considered for this scheme, please also email the
Philosophy Psychology and Language Sciences Postgraduate Office to register your
interest: pplspg at ed.ac.uk

In the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise, Linguistics and English Language At
Edinburgh was judged to be the top department in its field in the UK as measured
by the percentage of its research work that was in the top (4*) category: no
other department of linguistics in Britain had 30% of its work judged to be of
world-leading quality. The concentration of linguists at Edinburgh is the
largest in the UK; there were 36 staff included in the return.

Further information about the department, its research and its staff can be
found at: http://www.lel.ed.ac.uk/

Initial enquiries about postgraduate work in Linguistics and English Language at
Edinburgh should be sent to Nik Gisborne, the department's Postgraduate Advisor
(see contact information below).

Application Deadline: 13-Apr-2009

Web Address for Applications: http://www.ppls.ed.ac.uk/postgraduate/prospective.html

Contact Information: