20.701, Support: Semantics: PhD Student, Queen Mary, University of London

Thu Mar 5 17:37:58 UTC 2009

LINGUIST List: Vol-20-701. Thu Mar 05 2009. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 20.701, Support: Semantics: PhD Student, Queen Mary, University of London

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Luiza Newlin Lukowicz <luiza at linguistlist.org>

Date: 05-Mar-2009
From: Paul Elbourne < p.d.elbourne at qmul.ac.uk >
Subject: Semantics: PhD Student, Queen Mary, University of London, United Kingdom

Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 12:22:29
From: Paul Elbourne [p.d.elbourne at qmul.ac.uk]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=20-701.html&submissionid=207697&topicid=12&msgnumber=1

Institution/Organization: Queen Mary, University of London
Department: School of Languages, Linguistics and Film
Web Address: http://www.sllf.qmul.ac.uk/postgraduate/index.html

Level: PhD

Duties: Research

Specialty Areas: Semantics; Syntax
Syntax-semantics interface

The School of Languages, Linguistics and Film is pleased to announce that we are
able to offer an AHRC Doctoral Award in Linguistics. The award will cover all
fees and will provide a maintenance grant. The AHRC maintenance grant is
currently £14,940 per annum for full-time students; an increase can be expected
in 2009-2010. The award is tenable for three years (full-time) or five years
(part-time). It will be awarded over the summer of 2009 to one of our most
highly qualified applicants applying to start a Ph.D. in Linguistics in
September 2009.

In order to be eligible for the Award, applicants must present a research
proposal on semantics or the syntax-semantics interface. We are very interested
in proposals that involve the languages already taught in our School (Catalan,
French, German, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish); but proposals for work on
other languages, including English, will also be welcomed. Applicants should
have (or expect to have by September 2009) an M.A. in Linguistics or equivalent
qualification. Applicants must also meet a UK residency requirement explained on
the AHRC web site.

Prospective students are advised to consult a potential supervisor before
submitting a formal application. Details of staff research interests, and full
details of how to apply, are given on the following web page:
www.sllf.qmul.ac.uk/linguistics/phd.html. Contact Dr. Paul Elbourne with any
questions.

Applications for this award must be received by Monday 23 March 2009. Late
applications will not be considered.

Application Deadline: 23-Mar-2009

Mailing Address for Applications:
	Attn: Graduate Admissions