20.734, Sum: Introductory Linguistics Texts in English

Sun Mar 8 18:13:38 UTC 2009

LINGUIST List: Vol-20-734. Sun Mar 08 2009. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 20.734, Sum: Introductory Linguistics Texts in English

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Dan Parker <dan at linguistlist.org>

Date: 06-Mar-2009
From: Regina Morin < rmorin at tcnj.edu >
Subject: Introductory Linguistics Texts in English

Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2009 14:12:13
From: Regina Morin [rmorin at tcnj.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=20-734.html&submissionid=207850&topicid=10&msgnumber=1

Query for this summary posted in LINGUIST Issue: 20.381

Below is a summary of responses I received to my query regarding
Introduction to Linguistics texts, written in English, that use European
language data. Thanks to all who responded.

Martin Weisser, of the Chemnitz University of Technology kindly sent the
following link, http://ell.phil.tu-chemnitz.de/intro/intro.html, to his
online materials, which he designed to be teacher moderated course
materials, but hopes to revise and turn into a book.

Elizabeth A. Martinez-Gibson, from the College of Charleston Department of
Hispanic Studies, suggested a text  called Language Files, which does use
European languages data. It is from the Ohio State press.

Madalena Cruz-Ferreira wrote the following book, which she has used for
absolute beginner classes at university. It has European and other language
data:

Cruz-Ferreira, M. and S.A. Abraham (2006). The language of language. Core
concepts in linguistic analysis. Singapore, Prentice Hall/Pearson Education
Asia.
There is also a companion website, with lecture slides and more activities,
at http://www.pearsoned-asia.com/lang%20of%20lang/

Laura Callahan, from the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures,
City College, CUNY, sent three references:
1. Contemporary Linguistics. An Introduction. O'Grady, Dobrovolsky, and
Aronoff.
2. The Study of Language. George Yule.
3. An Introduction to Language. Fromkin, Rodman, and Hyams.