20.913, Qs: Modified: Orthography: Cursive q

Mon Mar 16 20:20:51 UTC 2009

LINGUIST List: Vol-20-913. Mon Mar 16 2009. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 20.913, Qs: Modified: Orthography: Cursive q

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Catherine Adams <catherin at linguistlist.org>

Date: 16-Mar-2009
From: Donald Reindl < donald.reindl at guest.arnes.si >
Subject: Modified: Orthography: Cursive q

Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 16:19:31
From: Donald Reindl [donald.reindl at guest.arnes.si]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=20-913.html&submissionid=209366&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

Please note that this modified issue has been posted only to correct the
email address found in LINGUIST issue 20.873. All responses to this query
should be directed to the address included here.

Dear All,

Slovenians write the loop at the bottom of the downstroke on cursive ''q''
(a foreign letter) clockwise (i.e., left and up, making a small knot),
instead of the general American pattern of counter-clockwise (i.e., right
and up, making a largish loop). To the American eye the result looks like a
strange ''g''.

A student of mine is doing research on cursive handwriting practice in
Europe and elsewhere. We would be grateful if users of other languages in
Europe could tell us how the loop of cursive ''q'' is written in the
handwriting taught in their schools (.jpgs or .gifs welcome). If enough

Donald F. Reindl
University of Ljubljana

Linguistic Field(s): Writing Systems