20.1031, I: Have Gained a Unique Experience at LINGUIST

Tue Mar 24 01:35:40 UTC 2009

LINGUIST List: Vol-20-1031. Mon Mar 23 2009. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 20.1031, I: Have Gained a Unique Experience at LINGUIST

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Maria Moreno-Rollins <maria at linguistlist.org>

http://linguistlist.org/LL/posttolinguist.html

Date: 23-Mar-2009
From:  linguist < linguist at linguistlist.org >
Subject: Current Technologies and Computational Methodologies as Part of My Education
2)
Date: 23-Mar-2009
From:  linguist < linguist at linguistlist.org >
Subject: Got Maps? LL-Map Team Update

Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 21:33:33
From:  linguist [linguist at linguistlist.org]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=20-1031.html&submissionid=210474&topicid=121&msgnumber=1

Dear Subscribers,

I have been a member of the LINGUIST crew since the fall
of 2006, and it has been a great experience so far. As a
Graduate Assistant for The LINGUIST List, I have learned
more about the discipline of linguistics and the professional
infrastructure than I could have ever imagined so early in
my career. This job has been challenging in so many ways,
however working for LINGUIST has been the most rewarding
experience I have ever had. While I have gained the unique
experience of developing and using advanced technologies
that are so important to the developing cyber-infrastructure
of the discipline, what is most important for me is the fact
that I have found a new home in the linguistics community.

Through my work on several major research projects at The
LINGUIST List, I have come to realize how much the future
of linguistic research relies on the ability of the discipline
to take full advantage of current technologies and computational
methodologies that encourage not only a wider-ranging empirical
investigation of linguistic phenomena, but also more careful
and insightful research through data-sharing and
interdisciplinary, computer-aided collaboration. With this
in mind, the importance of LINGUIST emerges: it is THE
organization that spearheads such collaborative and
interdisciplinary efforts to provide linguistic resources to
community FREE of cost.

As we all know, it is extremely difficult to find adequate
funding in the world of academics.  Representing an
organization that is entirely supported by user donations,
I cannot stress how much we value your support.  As all
donations go directly to funding the graduate students who
work tirelessly to keep The LINGUIST List running, your
contribution will have a direct effect on the ways in which
you obtain your linguistic resources.  You can make a
contribution through our secure website:

	In closing, I am extremely grateful to be part of
The LINGUIST List crew, and I look forward to future
opportunities.  Just remember, your contribution not only
ensures that The LINGUIST List will be able to continue for
another year, it also provides funding for the education
and training of future linguists.

Thank you for your support,

Daniel Parker
Graduate Assistant