20.1866, Qs: Native/Heritage Speakers of Spanish

Thu May 14 19:12:30 UTC 2009

LINGUIST List: Vol-20-1866. Thu May 14 2009. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 20.1866, Qs: Native/Heritage Speakers of Spanish

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Dan Parker <dan at linguistlist.org>

Date: 13-May-2009
From: Laura Callahan < Lcallahan at ccny.cuny.edu >
Subject: Native/Heritage Speakers of Spanish

Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 15:11:22
From: Laura Callahan [Lcallahan at ccny.cuny.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=20-1866.html&submissionid=217307&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

I'm looking for information on course sequences that permit Spanish
native/heritage speakers to fulfill general education foreign language
requirements at the undergraduate level in U.S. colleges and universities.
This concerns students whose major field of specialization is not Spanish,
but who take courses in the language to complete a graduation requirement.
In descending order of importance, I am interested in:

1) What level is the terminal course in the sequence that fulfills a
language requirement at your institution? (i.e. 200  level, intermediate,
4th semester, etc.)
>May students who are placed in this terminal course via a placement exam
complete the language requirement with just this one course?

2) How many courses do you offer in the native/heritage speaker basic
language sequence? What are they and how many credit hours is each?

3) What textbooks do you use?

Any and all information is welcome, including answers to the first question
only. I will post a summary.

Thank you very much for your help.
Laura Callahan
Lcallahan at ccny.cuny.edu

Linguistic Field(s): Discipline of Linguistics