20.1910, Disc: New: Developing a High School Linguistics Course

Mon May 18 20:14:37 UTC 2009

LINGUIST List: Vol-20-1910. Mon May 18 2009. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 20.1910, Disc: New: Developing a High School Linguistics Course

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Catherine Adams <catherin at linguistlist.org>

Date: 16-May-2009
From: Suzi Loosen < sloosen at uwm.edu >

Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 16:13:05
From: Suzi Loosen [sloosen at uwm.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=20-1910.html&submissionid=217547&topicid=5&msgnumber=1

Hello,

I am a high school English teacher working on my M.A. in Linguistics. I am
currently designing an elective Introduction to Linguistics course to be
taught at the 11th and 12th grade level. I am looking to find out if there
are any other courses being taught in American high schools that focus
primarily on Linguistics. I am also looking for additional resources to
help make Linguistics relevant to high school students.

I have chosen David Crystal's ''Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language'' as the
text for the course and am currently writing lesson plans for a
semester-long course.

I teach at Milwaukee School of Languages, a 6th-12th grade language
immersion school, and I am hoping to make this course a reality within the
next two years.

Any comments on programs that are already in place or advice on how to
proceed would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Suzi Loosen
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee

Linguistic Field(s): Discipline of Linguistics
                     General Linguistics