20.1940, Jobs: Various Langs & Grammar, Proof Reading...: Linguist, Appen Pty...

Thu May 21 16:32:16 UTC 2009

LINGUIST List: Vol-20-1940. Thu May 21 2009. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 20.1940, Jobs: Various Langs & Grammar, Proof Reading...: Linguist, Appen Pty...

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Matthew Lahrman <matt at linguistlist.org>

Date: 20-May-2009
From: Julie Vonwiller < jvonwiller at appen.com.au >
Subject: Various Langs & Grammar, Proof Reading, Applied Linguistics, Computational Linguistics, Translation: Linguist, Appen Pty Limited, Syndey, Australia

Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 12:30:26
From: Julie Vonwiller [jvonwiller at appen.com.au]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=20-1940.html&submissionid=217969&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Appen Pty Limited
Job Location: Sydney, Australia
Web Address: http://www.appen.com.au/

Job Rank: Linguist

Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; Computational Linguistics; Translation; Grammar, Proof Reading

Required Language(s): Bulgarian (bul)
                      Basque (eus)
                      Catalan-Valencian-Balear (cat)
                      Deori (der)
                      Danish (dan)
                      English (eng)
                      Estonian (est)
                      Finnish (fin)
                      Dari, Zoroastrian (gbz)
                      Gujarati (guj)
                      Galician (glg)
                      Hindi (hin)
                      Hungarian (hun)
                      Kazakh (kaz)
                      Kannada (kan)
                      Latvian (lav)
                      Lithuanian (lit)
                      Pévé (lme)
                      Malayalam (mal)
                      Pashto, Southern (pbt)
                      Pashto, Northern (pbu)
                      Farsi, Western (pes)
                      Polish (pol)
                      Farsi, Eastern (prs)
                      Pashto, Central (pst)
                      Romanian (ron)
                      Slovak (slk)
                      Slovenian (slv)
                      Spanish (spa)
                      Tamil (tam)
                      Tagalog (tgl)
                      Thai (tha)
                      Ukrainian (ukr)
                      Uzbek, Northern (uzn)
                      Uzbek, Southern (uzs)
                      Croatian (hrv)
                      Serbian (srp)
                      Arabic

Expression of Interest in Potential Work Opportunity at Appen

Appen (www.appen.com.au), a Speech and Language Technology Company
providing products and services to the ICT industry is seeking expressions
of interest from suitably qualified linguists in anticipation of future
project needs.

Appen's products are found in a wide range of applications such as speech
recognition, text-to-speech (speech synthesis), phonetic search, machine
translation.  Appen has also fused its high-end linguistics capabilities
with Natural Language Processing (NLP) to develop a number of advanced text
processing applications.

Appen works in many languages from a number of perspectives. Its range of
products and services include Speech file transcription and annotation of
audio material: Appen is one of the world's largest providers of such
services with the capability of handling all languages, scripts and
millions of speech utterances per month. Lexicons: Phonemic and POS tagged
lexicons are developed for ASR, TTS and translation. Grammatical Analysis:
Appen provides Grammar-related analyses for text processing. Databases and
Services: Databases and services are provided for machine translation,
handwriting recognition, ASR, TTS etc in multiple languages. Multi-language
databases: Multi-language databases are provided for the development of
language-to-language translation tools. Application Development & Tuning:
Appen provides speech application development and tuning services.

To support all the languages in our portfolio, we maintain a database of
highly qualified linguists for over 100 languages.

In anticipation of future needs, Appen is currently updating our database
and is circulating information on our company. If you are interested in
future employment with Appen (casual or fixed term) and would like to be
included in our database, please go to the Appen website and record your
details there.

http://www.appen.com.au/index.php/en/work-for-appen.html

The linguistic competence we are looking for is of 2 kinds.
1.	Native speaker Linguists with in depth study and experience in the
Grammar of their language
2.	Native speaker Linguists with in depth study and experience in the
Phonetics and Phonology of their language

Please note that we work in many languages including the less commonly
taught languages, so even if your language is rare and you are interested
in potential work, please do leave your details.  We are currently
researching the availability of native speaker Linguists in all of the
languages specified above.

Please see job contact information below.

Application Deadline: 20-Jul-2009 (Open until filled)

Web Address for Applications: http://www.appen.com.au/index.php/en/work-for-appen.html
Contact Information:
	Dr Julie Vonwiller
	Email: jvonwiller at appen.com.au