20.3746, Jobs: Applied Ling; Spanish/Asian Langs: Asst/Assoc Prof, Rutgers U

Tue Nov 3 20:02:22 UTC 2009

LINGUIST List: Vol-20-3746. Tue Nov 03 2009. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 20.3746, Jobs: Applied Ling; Spanish/Asian Langs: Asst/Assoc Prof, Rutgers U

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Date: 02-Nov-2009
From: Nydia Flores < nydia.flores at gse.rutgers.edu >
Subject: Applied Linguistics; Spanish and/or Asian Languages: Assistant/Associate Professor, Rutgers University, USA

Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 14:58:35
From: Nydia Flores [nydia.flores at gse.rutgers.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=20-3746.html&submissionid=236156&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Rutgers University
Job Location: New Jersey, USA
Web Address: http://www.gse.rutgers.edu/

Job Rank: Asst/Assoc Professor

Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics

Required Language(s): Arabic, Standard (arb)
                      Chinese, Mandarin (cmn)
                      Hindi (hin)
                      Spanish (spa)
                      Urdu (urd)

Language Education (Assistant or Associate Professor)

The Rutgers University Graduate School of Education is dedicated to the
study and improvement of educational institutions, processes, and agents to
empower people to act as reflective, compassionate, and effective
participants in a diverse and interconnected world. As a professional
school within New Jersey's flagship public university, the production and
dissemination of knowledge about education is central to our mission. We
seek tenure-track or tenured faculty colleagues whose research focuses on
informing and improving education, especially PK-16 teaching and learning.

In line with the rapidly growing demographic changes in the State of New
Jersey and the push to prepare students for today's global society, the
Language Education program of the Graduate School of Education would like
to appoint an Assistant/Associate Professor in Language Education,
beginning fall 2010. Candidates need an earned doctorate in language
education or applied linguistics, and we will consider scholars who are
experts in preparing future teachers to teach English Language Learners
(ELLs) and/or world languages such as Spanish, Chinese, Arabic, Urdu, and
Hindi. Candidates must possess expertise in a language other than English,
a research agenda related to classroom language teaching, bilingual
education, emerging bilinguals, or language teacher education, and K-12
teaching experience.  While teaching will be conducted in English, the
capacity to teach and advise students in another language (such as, Chinese
or Spanish) is a plus. This position is located within GSE's Department of
Learning and Teaching.

Applicants are expected to have earned a doctoral degree from a major
research university. In screening applicants, we will be looking for
evidence of scholarly promise or accomplishment; commitment to a strong,
productive, and externally funded research program; appropriate experience
and commitment to excellence in teaching. We invite applications from
beginning to mid-career scholars. Salary and rank will be commensurate with
qualifications and experience. Our School and University are especially
interested in applications from individuals who are members of groups that
have been and still are underrepresented in university faculty positions.
The responsibilities include: teaching and academic advising of both
undergraduate and graduate students; an active program of research;
contributing to the effective operation of the profession, the School, and
the University. Pursuit of external funding for one's research program is
also expected. Further specificity is provided below for each position.

Apply electronically at the email address below. Your application should
include: 1) a cover letter of introduction including names and contact
information for three references; references will only be contacted after
initial screening and with your permission; 2) a CV or resume; 3) a
description of your research program or plan; 4) a statement of teaching
experiences and philosophy; 5) two samples of scholarly writing such as
publications or conference presentations. Submit these items as separate
attachments in either MS Office 2003/2004 format or preferably as PDF
documents.

Screening of applications will begin immediately. We will accept
applications until December 18, 2009. If interested, we encourage you to
apply sooner than this deadline as we anticipate moving beyond initial
screening as soon as possible. Please submit applications only to the
application email address below.

Application Deadline: 18-Dec-2009

Email Address for Applications: language_education_search at gse.rutgers.edu
Contact Information: