20.3769, Qs: Data on Negation Needed for Select Languages

Thu Nov 5 03:15:34 UTC 2009

LINGUIST List: Vol-20-3769. Wed Nov 04 2009. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 20.3769, Qs: Data on Negation Needed for Select Languages

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Elyssa Winzeler <elyssa at linguistlist.org>

Date: 02-Nov-2009
From: Ljuba Veselinova < ljuba at ling.su.se >
Subject: Data on Negation Needed for Select Languages

Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 22:14:00
From: Ljuba Veselinova [ljuba at ling.su.se]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=20-3769.html&submissionid=236135&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

Dear All,

I need to complete my dataset on negation for the languages listed below. I
have the basic facts on negation for all of them but I haven't been able to
find answers to all the questions in my questionnaire in the sources I
consulted -- that is to say the standard grammars. For most of the
languages listed below all I need are one or two examples, usually a
locative sentence with a definite subject such as 'Tom is at home' vs. 'Tom
is not at home'.

Here are the languages I need help with:

Hausa
Mwera
Kannada
Chukchi
Mokilese
Yimas
Awa-Pit (Cuaiquer)
Barasano
Macushi
Maricopa

Any help or pointers to sources other than the already published grammars
of these languages will be greatly appreciated.

My best wishes,
Ljuba

Linguistic Field(s): Typology