20.3950, All: Obituary: Dell H. Hymes

Tue Nov 17 17:45:12 UTC 2009

LINGUIST List: Vol-20-3950. Tue Nov 17 2009. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 20.3950, All: Obituary: Dell H. Hymes

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Catherine Adams <catherin at linguistlist.org>

http://linguistlist.org/LL/posttolinguist.html

Date: 16-Nov-2009
From: Ellen Contini-Morava < elc9j at virginia.edu >
Subject: Obituary: Dell H. Hymes

Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 12:43:41
From: Ellen Contini-Morava [elc9j at virginia.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=20-3950.html&submissionid=2227754&topicid=1&msgnumber=1

It is with sadness that we announce the death of  former LSA President Dell
Hathaway Hymes, Commonwealth Professor of Anthropology and English
(Emeritus) at the University of Virginia. Professor Hymes died peacefully
on Friday November 13, 2009 in Charlottesville, VA.

A memorial service will be held on Saturday November 21 at 1:00 at Peace
Lutheran church, 1510 Broad Crossing Rd, Charlottesville, VA 22911-7483. A
memorial gathering has been organized for the upcoming meeting of the
American Anthropological Association in Philadelphia, PA. The gathering
will take place on Saturday December 5, 2009 from 7:30-9:30 pm in Grand
Ballroom III of the Courtyard Marriott. Condolences may be addressed to
Virginia Hymes, care of the Department of Anthropology, University of
Virginia, PO Box 400120, Charlottesville, VA, 22904-4120.

Linguistic Field(s): Not Applicable