20.3964, Qs: Participants for a Perception Survey Wanted

Wed Nov 18 15:27:40 UTC 2009

LINGUIST List: Vol-20-3964. Wed Nov 18 2009. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 20.3964, Qs: Participants for a Perception Survey Wanted

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Elyssa Winzeler <elyssa at linguistlist.org>

Date: 17-Nov-2009
From: Noriko Nakanishi < nakanisi at ba.kobegakuin.ac.jp >
Subject: Participants for a Perception Survey Wanted

Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 10:25:28
From: Noriko Nakanishi [nakanisi at ba.kobegakuin.ac.jp]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=20-3964.html&submissionid=2227874&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

-How do we identify words when we hear utterances?
-What are the effects of non-native-like pronunciation on the impression of
the speakers?

Based on these research questions, I have prepared an on-line
questionnaire, supported by Kobe Gakuin University  in Japan.

The questionnaire consists of 2 sections:
1.  Please listen to 48 short sentences (16 sets of similar sentences), and
click on a word that you hear.
2.  Please listen to self-introductions of 2 different speakers, and
indicate your impression on each speaker (19 questions).

Each question requires just one click, and it won't take long to complete
the questionnaire.

So far, I have gathered over 200 responses from English learners in Japan,
and I would like to compare the results with those from people with
different native languages.

Respondents of any age (over 18), any academic background, and speakers of
any language are welcome.

The questionnaire site will be up until the end of November 2009, and I
will post the summary, as well as sending the results to individuals upon
request.  I would also appreciate it if you could pass on this message to
anyone who might be interested.

For further information, please go to:
http://stream.kobegakuin.ac.jp/ba2/nakanishi/

If you have any questions, please e-mail me at:
nakanisi at ba.kobegakuin.ac.jp

Thank you for your interest and cooperation.
Noriko Nakanishi
Associate Professor at Kobe Gakuin University (Japan)

Linguistic Field(s): Phonetics
                     Sociolinguistics