20.4017, Qs: Pragmatics of interaction in Second Life

Mon Nov 23 21:05:48 UTC 2009

LINGUIST List: Vol-20-4017. Mon Nov 23 2009. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 20.4017, Qs: Pragmatics of interaction in Second Life

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Catherine Adams <catherin at linguistlist.org>

Date: 21-Nov-2009
From: Francisco Yus < francisco.yus at ua.es >
Subject: Pragmatics of interaction in Second Life

Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 16:03:47
From: Francisco Yus [francisco.yus at ua.es]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=20-4017.html&submissionid=2228395&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

Dear subscribers to The LINGUIST List,

I am currently writing on a pragmatics of avatar-mediated interactions in
Second Life. I would be grateful if I could hear from you on the following:

1. Avatar creation: does your avatar resemble your real-life body or did
you choose a totally different one? Why?
2. Feelings while interacting. Do you feel you are interacting with the
real person behind the avatar or are you deceived into believing that it is
the avatar that is doing all the talking?
3. Chat options. How do you manage the limitations of text-based
communication to convey all your thoughts, feelings and emotions?

Needless to say, electronic copies of your papers on these issues are
welcome too.

Thanks in advance,

Cordially,

Dr. Francisco Yus