20.3353, Jobs: Applied Ling, Lang Acq: Asst Prof, U of Texas at Arlington

Mon Oct 5 15:29:16 UTC 2009

LINGUIST List: Vol-20-3353. Mon Oct 05 2009. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 20.3353, Jobs: Applied Ling, Lang Acq: Asst Prof, U of Texas at Arlington

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Date: 02-Oct-2009
From: Drew Burks < linguistics at uta.edu >
Subject: Applied Linguistics, Language Acquisition: Assistant Professor, University of Texas at Arlington, TX, USA

Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 11:26:32
From: Drew Burks [linguistics at uta.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=20-3353.html&submissionid=232615&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: University of Texas at Arlington
Department: Linguistics & TESOL
Job Location: Texas, USA
Web Address: http://ling.uta.edu

Job Rank: Assistant Professor

Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition

The Department of Linguistics and TESOL at The University of Texas at
Arlington invites applications for a tenure-track position at the rank of
Assistant Professor in Second Language Acquisition with the ability to
contribute to our M.A. TESOL degree,to begin in fall 2010. Candidates will
have a doctorate in linguistics or a closely related field by the time of the
appointment, with college-level teaching experience and evidence of
success and continued promise in publishing in this area. ABD candidates
will be considered. The successful candidate will have a research area in
second language acquisition that complements existing faculty expertise.
We anticipate that this hire will contribute to two main areas in our
department: training students at all levels in second language acquisition
and training students enrolled in our TESOL programs. In addition, we are
interested in candidates who can contribute to teaching in syntax,
morphology, sociolinguistics or quantitative research methods.
Excellent opportunities for outreach and service learning exist in the
linguistically diverse city of Arlington and its surroundings. Candidates
with prior experience in outreach/service-learning are encouraged to
provide supporting documentation in this area. Potential hires with a
successful track record in external grants are of particular interest.

We are a growing department, with a new chair and two additional new
faculty in the past two years, and we are planning to hire two additional
tenure-line faculty to start in Fall 2010. We have four graduate programs,
including a doctorate in linguistics and an M.A. in TESOL. The University
of Texas at Arlington is aggressively pursuing Tier One status, seeking to
increase doctoral production, undergraduate graduation and retention
rates, and extramural funding. The University is highly diverse in its
student demographics, and is a doctoral-granting, research-intensive public
institution of 28,000 students in the dynamic Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex,
which has a wide variety of cultural, recreational, and entertainment
offerings. Applications from members of underrepresented groups are
especially encouraged.

A letter of application for the position in Second Language Acquisition
describing teaching and research interests, a current curriculum vitae, two
writing samples, and three letters of reference from those most familiar
with the applicant's work should be sent by U.S. mail to the address below
or by email (with 'Attn: SLA Search Committee' in the subject) to the email
address below.

For more information about the department, visit http://ling.uta.edu.

Consideration of applications will begin on November 30, 2009, and will
continue until the position is filled. Preliminary interviews are planned
for the 2010 LSA Annual Meeting in Baltimore. This is a security sensitive
position, and a criminal background check will be conducted on finalists.
UT Arlington is an Equal Opportunity & Affirmative Action Employer.

Application Deadline: 30-Nov-2009
Mailing Address for Applications:
	Second Language Acquisition Search Committee
	Department of Linguistics and TESOL
	UT Arlington, Box 19559--Hammond Hall 403
	Arlington, US 76019-0559
	USA
Email Address for Applications: linguistics at uta.edu
Web Address for Applications: http://ling.uta.edu