20.3514, FYI: New Endangered Language Fund Board Members

Mon Oct 19 22:12:43 UTC 2009

LINGUIST List: Vol-20-3514. Mon Oct 19 2009. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 20.3514, FYI: New Endangered Language Fund Board Members

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Danielle St. Jean <danielle at linguistlist.org>

Date: 19-Oct-2009
From: Doug Whalen < whalen at haskins.yale.edu >
Subject: New Endangered Language Fund Board Members

Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 18:09:22
From: Doug Whalen [whalen at haskins.yale.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=20-3514.html&submissionid=234300&topicid=6&msgnumber=1

Dear all,

The Endangered Language Fund is a non-profit organization dedicated to the
documentation and maintenance of endangered languages.

We are pleased to announce the addition of two new members to our Board of
Directors.

Lenore Grenoble (University of Chicago) is our new Vice President. She
will assist in developing our resources and running our grant program.
Lenore is one of the leaders in the field of endangered languages,
particularly in coauthoring two of the most useful books in the field
("Endangered Languages: Current Issues and Future Prospects" and "Saving
Languages. An Introduction to Language Revitalization"). She is
interested in Slavic, Tungusic and languages of the North, discourse and
conversation analysis, deixis, contact linguistics and language
endangerment, attrition, and revitalization. Her fieldwork focuses on
languages of Siberia, and she is currently engaged in research on the
interrelations between language, culture and environment in the North.
After many years at Dartmouth College, she is now at the University of Chicago.

More information can be found at:

http://slavic.uchicago.edu/faculty-staff/grenoble.shtml

Cynthia Henderson Magner (Beyond Bookkeeping, Inc.) is our new Treasurer
and will be responsible for keeping us on track with our bookkeeping and
financial planning. Cindy holds a BA from Columbia University and an MBA
from San Francisco State University. She founded Beyond Bookkeeping in
2005. With the help of six bookkeepers and administrative assistance, her
group now manages the accounting for over 40 businesses and non-profit
organizations. She replaces Richard Shanahan, who had to step down due to
increased commitments at work.  We thank him for his years of service to
ELF as Treasurer.

The Endangered Language Fund awards grants to linguists and language
activists throughout the world. These grants are supported almost entirely
by individual donations. Please consider making a donation to help us stem
the tide of language loss:

http://www.endangeredlanguagefund.org/donate.html

For more information about our organization please visit our website:

http://www.endangeredlanguagefund.org

Doug Whalen DhW

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics
                     General Linguistics
                     Language Documentation
                     Sociolinguistics