20.3100, Qs: Language Maps

Tue Sep 15 15:27:49 UTC 2009

LINGUIST List: Vol-20-3100. Tue Sep 15 2009. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 20.3100, Qs: Language Maps

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Elyssa Winzeler <elyssa at linguistlist.org>

Date: 14-Sep-2009
From: Candice Luebbering < candice at vt.edu >
Subject: Language Maps

Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 11:24:32
From: Candice Luebbering [candice at vt.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=20-3100.html&submissionid=230228&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

Hello everyone,

I am a PhD student at Virginia Tech in the Department of Geography.  My
main interest areas are in cartography and map communication.  For my
research I am interested in understanding the cartographic presentation of
language and am currently seeking language maps (in print or online) to
survey their characteristics.  While I have been searching and collecting
language maps myself, I wanted to ask the linguist community if you would
be willing to share any references or links to language maps you may use in
your classroom, have come across in research, have created yourself, or
have simply found interesting or engaging.  I am interested in the full
array of language maps available with no limitations of specific regions,
languages, dates of publication, or data types as I am inventorying their
cartographic characteristics rather than their specific map messages.  Any
information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you very
much for your time.

Sincerely,

Candice Luebbering
PhD Candidate
Geospatial & Environmental Analysis
Department of Geography
Virginia Tech

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics
                     General Linguistics
                     Language Documentation