20.3134, Jobs: Comp Ling: Sr. Researcher, Nuance Communications, MA, USA

Thu Sep 17 17:43:13 UTC 2009

LINGUIST List: Vol-20-3134. Thu Sep 17 2009. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 20.3134, Jobs: Comp Ling: Sr. Researcher, Nuance Communications, MA, USA

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Erica Wicks <erica at linguistlist.org>

Date: 16-Sep-2009
From: Todd Bourque < Todd.Bourque at nuance.com >
Subject: Computational Linguistics, Text/corpus Linguistics: Sr. Research Engineer (Vocabulary Modeler), Nuance Communications, USA, Massachusetts

Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 13:41:02
From: Todd Bourque [Todd.Bourque at nuance.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=20-3134.html&submissionid=230508&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Nuance Communications
Department: Mobility (Engineering)
Job Location: Massachusetts, USA
Web Address: http://www.nuance.com/

Job Rank: Sr. Research Engineer (Vocabulary Modeler)

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics

Nuance is seeking a Research Engineer with a background in computer science
and linguistics to work on vocabulary modeling in support of our automated
speech recognition and text-to-speech systems. Candidates should enjoy
working in a fast-paced, collaborative atmosphere that applies speech
technology in a commercial, result driven, and customer oriented setting.

The candidate will join an experienced team of researchers with expertise
in creating, optimizing and testing state-of-the-art speech solutions for
embedded devices.

Responsibilities
-Train and evaluate statistical models for generating pronunciations for
unknown words in target languages
-Produce and publish experimental results showing performance of models
-Work with native-level language consultants to verify pronunciations
generated automatically and by hand
-Maintain lists of exceptional words and pronunciations for target languages
-Work with acoustic modelers to analyze recognition errors related to
pronunciations
-Drive automation of the vocabulary modeling process

Qualifications
-BS/MS in Computer Science or related field
-Background in Linguistics or Languages
-High level of expertise with text processing in a UNIX-like environment
-Strong experience using scripting languages such as Perl, Python, make, C
shell, and Bash to build automated systems from smaller components
-Minimum of 3 years relevant work experience in commercial speech
applications or a closely related field
-Strong analytical and problem solving skills and ability to troubleshoot
issues
-Self-motivated with strong ability to work independently.
-Experience with automatic speech recognition (ASR) is helpful but not required
-Proficiency in non-English natural languages is desirable

Nuance is the leading provider of speech and imaging solutions for
businesses and consumers around the world. Our technologies, applications
and services make the user experience more compelling by transforming the
way people interact with information and how they create, share and use
documents. Every day, millions of users and thousands of businesses
experience Nuance by calling directory assistance, getting account
information, dictating patient records, telling a navigation system their
destination, or digitally reproducing documents that can be shared and
searched. Making each of those experiences productive and compelling is
what Nuance is all about.

As a contributing member of Nuance, you will work within a dynamic team
environment to develop, support, market and sell our award-winning software
applications. We offer competitive compensation packages including stock
options, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, 401(k), full health and welfare
benefits and a challenging technical but casual work environment. Join our
dynamic, entrepreneurial team that operates worldwide (Europe, US, APAC).

Nuance Mobile builds innovative, intelligent and intuitive touch and speech
interfaces to simplify and enhance the way people interact with mobile
devices, applications, and services.  Nuance Mobile solutions make mobile
devices and in-car systems easier to use, automate customer self-service,
and optimize the access and discovery of even the most advanced mobile
applications and content - regardless of technical know-how, location,
environment, or physical and literacy capabilities.

Nuance is an equal opportunity employer.

Application Deadline: 16-Mar-2010

Web Address for Applications: http://jobs-nuance.icims.com/jobs/4568/job
Contact Information:
	Sr. Technology Recruiter Todd Bourque