20.3186, Diss: Pragmatics/Semantics: Schwarz: 'Two Types of Definites in...'

Mon Sep 21 05:11:20 UTC 2009

LINGUIST List: Vol-20-3186. Mon Sep 21 2009. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 20.3186, Diss: Pragmatics/Semantics: Schwarz: 'Two Types of Definites in...'

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Di Wdzenczny <di at linguistlist.org>

Date: 18-Sep-2009
From: Florian Schwarz < florians at ling.upenn.edu >
Subject: Two Types of Definites in Natural Language

Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 01:09:19
From: Florian Schwarz [florians at ling.upenn.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=20-3186.html&submissionid=230827&topicid=14&msgnumber=1

Institution: University of Massachusetts at Amherst
Program: Department of Linguistics
Dissertation Status: Completed
Degree Date: 2009

Author: Florian Schwarz

Dissertation Title: Two Types of Definites in Natural Language

Dissertation URL:  http://florianschwarz.net/FSDiss/FSDiss.html

Linguistic Field(s): Pragmatics
                     Semantics

Dissertation Director(s):
Angelika Kratzer
Lyn Frazier
Barbara Partee
Charles Clifton
Christopher Potts

Dissertation Abstract:

This thesis is concerned with the description and analysis of two
semantically different types of definite articles in German. While the
existence of distinct article paradigms in various Germanic dialects and
other languages has been acknowledged in the descriptive literature, the
theoretical implications of their existence have not been explored
extensively. I argue that each of the articles corresponds to one of the
two predominant theoretical approaches to analyzing definite descriptions:
the weak article encodes uniqueness. The strong article is anaphoric in
nature. In the course of spelling out analyses for the two articles, more
general issues relevant to current semantic theory are addressed, in
particular with respect to situation semantic analyses of donkey sentences
and domain restriction.