20.3193, FYI: Call for Workshop Proposals, InField 2010

Mon Sep 21 23:29:23 UTC 2009

LINGUIST List: Vol-20-3193. Mon Sep 21 2009. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 20.3193, FYI: Call for Workshop Proposals, InField 2010

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Danielle St. Jean <danielle at linguistlist.org>

Date: 20-Sep-2009
From: Spike Gildea < spike at uoregon.edu >
Subject: Call for Workshop Proposals, InField 2010

Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 19:26:53
From: Spike Gildea [spike at uoregon.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=20-3193.html&submissionid=231067&topicid=6&msgnumber=1

Call for Proposals-

Workshops on Language Documentation, Maintenance, and Revitalization

To be held as part of:

InField 2010:
Institute on Field Linguistics and Language Documentation

University of Oregon
June 21st - July 2nd, 2010

The Organizing Committee of InField solicits applications for workshops in
language documentation, language maintenance, and/or language
revitalization to be held as part of the second Institute on Field
Linguistics and Language Documentation, at the University of Oregon from
June 22nd to July 2nd, 2010. Our immediate purpose is to offer practical
training to current or potential fieldworkers and speech community members;
we also plan to add to the body of freely available training materials online.

We particularly seek proposals from current practitioners in this area, who
would like to teach a workshop of two to eight hours in length to an
audience of practicing linguists, graduate students in linguistics, and/or
language activists with an interest in documenting, maintaining, or
revitalizing their particular language of interest. A preliminary list of
desired workshop topics for InField 2010 appears on the next page (pdf
version accessible at:
http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~spike/Site/InField_2010_files/Call%20for%20proposals,%20InField%202010.pdf).
We solicit proposals for these topics, but we are also open to additional
proposals that bring fresh ideas to InField, and these delineations of
topic are not fixed, e.g., a proposal could link two or more of these
topics into a single workshop.

The proposal should be a maximum of 2 pages in length, and should include:
topic (specify number if already in list; if new, rationale for including
it as part of InField), proposed length (in hours), a brief description of
workshop content (general lesson plan and level, e.g., beginning,
intermediate, advanced), how it would be taught (balance of theory,
examples, hands-on exercises), and what experience qualifies you to teach
it (we encourage students and language activists to apply).

Workshop instructors will receive reimbursement for travel, room and board,
and a modest honorarium.

Questions should be directed to Spike Gildea <spike at uoregon.edu>; completed
proposals should be submitted to InField 2010 <infield at uoregon.edu>.

Deadline for receipt of proposals:  October 12, 2009
Selection of proposals:  October 30, 2009

Preliminary Workshop Category/Title Hours:

*Plenaries*
*1. Steps in language documentation*:  How do I conceptualize a
documentation, revitalization, or maintenance project? 5 hrs
*2. Models of language documentation and revitalization*:  What models of
language maintenance and revitalization work? Different models for
different communities; presentations by community members on what they have
done, challenges they have faced, and their successes. 10 hrs

*Technology*
*3. Audio recording*:  How do I make a good recording? How do I work with
digital media files? Choosing and maintaining equipment; recording
techniques; metadata; practice and analysis of results; editing sound
files; sampling rates; compression; introduction to sound-editing software.
7 hrs
*4. Video recording and editing*:  Introduction to video recording and
basics of video editing for fieldwork. 9 hrs
*5. Data Management and Archiving*:  Managing, converting, storing, and
manipulating your data; using available archives and creating an archivable
corpus; data accessibility and mobilization. 6 hrs
*6. Principles of database design*:  What are the best uses of a database,
and how do I make a good one? Database features; design considerations;
practice in database queries and scripts; exporting and importing;
comparison of database software; creation of databases for different
linguistic purposes. 8 hrs
*7. Aligning text to audio and video using ELAN*:  Using ELAN software to
create archival text/audio and text/video alignments; interlinearized
glossing; conceptualizing the structure of a transcript of spoken language.
9 hrs
*8. Toolbox/FLEX*:  Multipurpose data management software. 6 hrs

*Transcription and Lexicography*
*9. Orthography*:  Which orthography should I use? Issues in orthography;
working with communities for developing working orthographies. 7 hrs
*10. Lexicography*:  How do I make a dictionary? Principles of
lexicography; dictionaries for different purposes; software for dictionary
creation. 7 hrs
*11. Transcription Conventions for discourse transcription, intonation.*:
8 hrs

*Field Methodologies and Ethics*
*12. Life in the field*:  How do I succeed in the field? A discussion-based
workshop on the personal, practical, and social dimensions of fieldwork.
Separate workshops targeted at audiences of specific levels of experience.
6 hrs
*13. Ethical issues in fieldwork:  Case studies*:  Eight seminar
presentations on specific ethical concerns and ways to promote the highest
ethical standards in fieldwork. Each should be led by a different
presenter/facilitator, about half scholars and half language activists. 12 hrs
*14. Field phonetics*:  Introduction to recording and digitization,
transcription, and acoustic analysis using Praat software and other
techniques. 6 hrs
*15. Ethnobiology*:  How does the language community categorize and label
the natural world? Areas of focus: botany and ecosystems, mammals,
reptiles, amphibians, fish and insects. 8 hrs
*16. Survey Methods*:  How many speakers are there of my language? When is
it used by which groups? 5 hrs

*Language Maintenance and Revitalization*
*17. Introduction to linguistics for language activists*:  What can
linguistics teach me to help me maintain/revitalize my language? 10 hrs
*18. Language activism*:  What skills do community language activists need?
How can these skills be transferred more widely at the community/grassroots
level? 7 hrs
*19. Language resources and the community*:  How can I provide technical
support for my community? How can I develop materials or work with
materials already at hand to best help my community? Creating and using
materials to meet the needs of a unique community; from documentation to
pedagogy and revitalization. 4 hrs
*20. Grant writing for language activists and linguists*:  How can I write
a successful grant proposal? Identifying appropriate granting agencies;
structuring grant proposals; making a convincing case for support. 10 hrs
*21. Pedagogical Grammars*:  How to make grammatical analysis accessible
and useful to language learners and language programs. 10 hrs
*22. Teaching Methods*:  A practical approach to the consideration of
models for revitalizing endangered languages. Among models to be compared
are early childhood immersion, master-apprentice, and classroom-based
programs. The ultimate goal is to support enduring multilingualism. 10 hrs
*23. Classroom Materials and Technology*:  In this hands-on course,
students explore ways to make materials for classroom or home use. Students
use latest technologies to create learning materials and practice using
them as both teachers and learners. 10 hrs

Linguistic Field(s): Language Documentation