20.3235, Sum: Language Maps

Thu Sep 24 16:29:48 UTC 2009

LINGUIST List: Vol-20-3235. Thu Sep 24 2009. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 20.3235, Sum: Language Maps

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Elyssa Winzeler <elyssa at linguistlist.org>

Date: 21-Sep-2009
From: Candice Luebbering < candice at vt.edu >
Subject: Language Maps

Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 12:26:27
From: Candice Luebbering [candice at vt.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=20-3235.html&submissionid=231147&topicid=10&msgnumber=1

Query for this summary posted in LINGUIST Issue: 20.3100

As is customary, below I have listed the responses I received to my query
about language maps.  Posting my query as a timid geography student in your
midst, I have been pleasantly overwhelmed by the number of responses and
genuine interest in my research.  It is very encouraging and I greatly
appreciate it.  For those of you who showed interest in having an on-going
conversation about my research ideas, I know I am delinquent in responding,
but I will get back to you once I've had the time to pursue the sources
provided below.

Summary of Responses
The LL MAP project (http://llmap.org/about-llmap.html) which has links to
the original images and source information of the maps used in their work
(Thanks to Elyssa Winzeler, Jennifer Culbertson, Jessica Boynton)

MultiTree (http://multitree.linguistlist.org) (Thanks to Elyssa Winzeler)

Ethnologue (www.ethnologue.com) (Thanks to Elyssa Winzeler, Nadine
Borchardt, Dr. Pete Unseth, Frank Seifart, Geoffrey Hooker, Antoine
Guillaume, Dr. Michael Cahill)

National Geographic's Enduring Voices project
(www.nationalgeographic.com/mission/enduringvoices/) (Thanks to Danny
Hieber, Myles Dakan)

UNESCO Interactive Atlas of the World's Languages in Danger
(www.unesco.org/culture/ich/index.php?pg=00206) (Thanks to Danny Hieber)

Interesting map showing the distribution of terms for carbonated drinks
(http://popvssoda.com:2998/countystats/total-county.html) (Thanks to Dr.
Susan Burt)

Atlas linguistique de France from ca. 1900 (Thanks to Peter T. Daniels and
Jennifer Culbertson)

Linguistic Atlas of New England (Thanks to Peter T. Daniels)

Maps in the Dictionary of American Regional English (Thanks to Peter T.
Daniels)

Atlas of the World's Languages published by Routledge (Thanks to Peter T.
Daniels)

First Peoples Heritage Language Culture Council, British Columbia -
fphlcc.ca - (Thanks to Dr. Terry Klokeid)

World Atlas of Language Structures; http://wals.info/ (Thanks to Amanda
Linerode, Jennifer Culbertson, Martin Haspelmath, Sebastian Sauppe, Tyko
Dirksmeyer, Todd Hughes, Michael Arbib, Rafael Fischer, Tommaso Caselli)

Korjakov, Ju. B. 2006. Atlas kavkazskikh jazykov s prilozheniem polnogo
reestra jazykov. Moskva: Piligrim (76 str.).  for a great collection of
maps displaying the languages of the Caucasus (Thanks to Dr. Wolfgang
Schulze who also noted maps available for downloading on his homepage)

Basic map for Aboriginal language/dialect/tribal groups of Australia
(http://www.aiatsis.gov.au/asp/map.html) (Thanks to Jessica Boynton)

Sutton, Peter. 1995. Country : Aboriginal boundaries and land ownership
in Australia. Canberra: Aboriginal History.   This article has a good
discussion concerning the presentation and possible interpretations of a
different map of Aboriginal Australian territories (Thanks to Jessica Boynton)

A. K. Ramanujan & Colin Masica's 'Towards a Phonological Typology of the
Indian Linguistic Area' in Current Trends in Linguistics Vol 5. The Hague
1969, pp. 543-577. (Thanks to Magdalena Zoeppritz)

Recommendation to look at reference grammars such as Dixon 1972: The
Dyirbal language of North Queensland and he also mentioned Nichols 1998:
The Eurasian spread zone and the Indo-European dispersal (in Archaeology
and Language II) (Thanks to Sebastian Sauppe)

Nichols 1998: The Eurasian spread zone and the Indo-European dispersal (in
Archaeology and Language II) (Thanks to Sebastian Sauppe)

SIL (Summer Institute of Linguistics) (Thanks to Nadine Borchardt)

A set of maps covering the entire Amazon: Queixalós, Francisco, and Odile
Renault-Lescure, eds. 2000. As línguas amazônicas hoje. São Paulo:
IRD/ISA/MPEG. (Thanks to Frank Seifart)

The Altas of the World's Languages (2nd ed.), Asher & Moseley (eds.). 2007.
 (Thanks to Dr. James Stanford)

Thanks to Taylor Roberts for describing a map of indigenous language
families on the west coast of Canada and the US that I hope to track back
down both for myself and him!

MLA Language Map, http://www.mla.org/census_main (Thanks to Karin Ryding)

Mission organization web sites sometimes have maps that refer to people
groups but whose distinctions are actually based on language
(http://gowestafrica.org/peoplegroups/allpeoplegroups.php)  (Thanks to Todd
Hughes)

Interesting application of maps in the study of folk linguistics can be
found in Niedzielski, Nancy -- Dennis Preston. 1999. Folk linguistics. Berlin:
Mouton de Gruyter. (Thanks to Jarek Weckwerth)

http://www.ling.pdx.edu/childs/DKB_Web/dkb-map.htm (Thanks to Tucker Childs)

Online source of maps at Wikimedia Commons
(http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Linguistc_maps)  Other language
maps available in other categories as well. & links to his own work
http://lingvarium.org/maps.shtml
http://toolserver.org/~daniel/WikiSense/Gallery.php?wikifam=commons.wikimedia.org&img_user_text=Koryakov%20Yuri
  (Thanks to Yuri Koryakov)

French language reference, L'Atlas des langues du monde by Breton and
Mazoyer
(http://www.amazon.fr/Atlas-langues-monde-pluralit%C3%A9-fragile/dp/2746704005)
 (Thanks to Ghislain Potriquet)

Consortium for Language Policy and Planning has a webpage (with work in
progress) with a number of ethnolinguistic maps  at
http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/plc/clpp/images/langmaps/index.html
 (Thanks to Dr. Harold Schiffman)

Short, clear discussion about creation of first dialectological maps in
Chambers J. K. & Trudgill, P. Dialectology, CUP, Series: Cambridge
Textbooks in Linguistics, 2nd Ed.
http://www.cambridge.org/catalogue/catalogue.asp?isbn=0521596467 (Thanks to
Sylvain Loiseau)

Cree dialects @ www.eastcree.org and www.atlas-ling.ca,
http://www.innu-aimun.ca/modules.php?name=map, and
http://www.innu-aimun.ca/modules.php?name=papers&p=MM (Thanks to Dr.
Marguerite MacKenzie)

Thank you also to Dr. Terry J. Klokeid, Nadine Borchardt, Dr. Stephen
Anderson, Tyko Dirksmeyer, Pete Unseth, Tucker Childs, Ljuba Veselinova,
and Mikael Parkvall who provided me with other potential contacts,
discussed their ideas, or provided me glimpses of their own work.

If I overlooked acknowledging someone, I sincerely apologize.  Thank you
again for the amazing response and validation to my research.  Please do
not hesitate to contact me in the future if you have anything to share or
discuss.

Sincerely,

Candice Luebbering
PhD Candidate, Geospatial & Environmental Analysis
Department of Geography
Virginia Tech

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics
                     General Linguistics
                     Language Documentation