20.3236, FYI: Linguistic Research in the Federal Context

Thu Sep 24 17:01:26 UTC 2009

LINGUIST List: Vol-20-3236. Thu Sep 24 2009. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 20.3236, FYI: Linguistic Research in the Federal Context

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Danielle St. Jean <danielle at linguistlist.org>

Date: 22-Sep-2009
From: Eric Potsdam < epotsdam at nsf.gov >
Subject: Linguistic Research in the Federal Context

Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 12:58:23
From: Eric Potsdam [epotsdam at nsf.gov]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=20-3236.html&submissionid=231327&topicid=6&msgnumber=1

Dear Colleagues,

The National Science and Technology Council (NSTC) recently released the
report Social, Behavioral and Economic (SBE) Research in the Federal
Context:

http://www.ostp.gov/galleries/NSTC%20Reports/SBE%20in%20the%20Federal%20Context%20(for%20NSTC)%204-21-09.pdf

This report summarizes several grand challenges facing the nation and globe
and the potential for the human sciences to provide policy makers evidence
and information to address these challenges. Former presidential science
advisor, Dr. John Marburger, writes, "This is a particularly important time
to reassess the role and opportunities for the SBE sciences?" in areas,"
such as "education, health care, the mitigation of terrorism, the
prevention of crime, the response to natural disasters, and a better
understanding of our rapidly changing global economy."

We wanted to bring this important document to your attention not only for
its intrinsic interest, but also because it may inform your ideas about the
broader impact of our field's research, as well as your own. Additionally,
as you know, broader impact is one of the two merit review criteria at the
National Science Foundation. This report may help you, as a potential PI or
reviewer, to think creatively about potential broader impacts of the
research you conduct and review.

Sincerely,
Joan Maling
Eric Potsdam

Linguistics Program
Behavioral and Cognitive Sciences
National Science Foundation
4201 Wilson Blvd
Arlington, VA 22230

Linguistic Field(s): Discipline of Linguistics
                     General Linguistics