21.1636, Our: Advisors Are Challenging You to End Fund Drive!

Mon Apr 5 16:15:14 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-1636. Mon Apr 05 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.1636, Our: Advisors Are Challenging You to End Fund Drive!

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Maria Moreno-Rollins <maria at linguistlist.org>

http://linguistlist.org/LL/posttolinguist.cfm
=================================Directory====================================

1)
Date: 05-Apr-2010
From:  linguist < linguist at linguistlist.org >
Subject: The Advisors' Challenge Is Underway!

-------------------------Message 1 ---------------------------------
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 11:51:05
From:  linguist [linguist at linguistlist.org]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-1636.html&submissionid=2623744&topicid=121&msgnumber=1

Dear Colleagues,

As befits the board of an electronic listserv, the LINGUIST List
Board of Advisors meets in person at most only once a year.  Even
then only those of us among the 35 members who happen to be attending
the annual Linguistics Society of America meeting try to get together
for an hour with Anthony and Helen - it isn't really a formal meeting.
Many of us don't go to LSA regularly, though, and others don't - for
various reasons - ever attend.  So we normally communicate (and sometimes
disagree) with each other only virtually.  It's worth pointing out as
well that we represent many theories of linguistics and many
subspecialities - we are a diverse group, bringing our own points of
view to the Board of Advisors.

There is, however, one place we absolutely do agree: the LINGUIST List
must be supported financially!  And we put our money where our (virtual)
mouths are.  As in past years, the Advisors have pooled our donations
and now challenge you, the rest of the LINGUIST List subscribers, to
improve on what we have done.  We would like to see you (the collected
other subscribers to LINGUIST List who have not yet donated - and there
are many, many of you!) quintuple our $2000 and end the fund drive by
pledging another $10,000 in the next two days.

Don't forget, there are 35 of us who have pledged that $2000; that is
about $57 a person.  And there are 29,000 members altogether (all right,
28,963 not counting the advisors or Anthony and Helen) with just over
800 contributions so far - consider how little would have to come from
each of those of you who haven't pledged yet to make up the remaining
amount needed for operating costs!

Just think, if every person who hasn't yet sent a donation pledged
US$2.00/Euro1.5 (or the equivalent in your own currency), which is less
than the cost of a fancy cup of coffee, LINGUIST List would be way
over the top and might even be able to have a shorter, less demanding
drive next year.

Thank you for listening to this LINGUIST List fan and thank you even
more, from the entire Board of Advisors, for your contribution!

Donate now:

Best wishes,

Margaret Winters
Wayne State University