21.1717, Qs: Influence of Native Lang Accent on English of Non-Native Speakers

Thu Apr 8 17:23:49 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-1717. Thu Apr 08 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.1717, Qs: Influence of Native Lang Accent on English of Non-Native Speakers

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Danielle St. Jean <danielle at linguistlist.org>

Date: 07-Apr-2010
From: Jakub Rigo < rigojakub at gmail.com >

Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 13:20:29
From: Jakub Rigo [rigojakub at gmail.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-1717.html&submissionid=2624675&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

Dear LINGUIST List subscribers,

My research question is: How do the phonetics of a native language,
let's say French, influence the accent that a non-native speaker may
have when speaking English? (I deal also with other languages but if
you could give me some general rules, I could apply them to other
languages.)

I study interpreting and my thesis is on English accents and if
interpreters need to learn about them, and this question is a part of the
theoretical basis of my thesis. My research has been hampered by the
complete lack of literature on this at my university, the complete lack of
research in this field at my university, and in my country. This is why I
am asking such a broad question. Considering the literature, no one at
my university could point me to relevant works of foreign authors.

I truly will be grateful for any info.

Thank you,

Jakub

Linguistic Field(s): Language Acquisition
                     Phonetics
                     Phonology