21.1793, Qs: Online Courses for Introduction to Linguistics

Tue Apr 13 17:20:59 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-1793. Tue Apr 13 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.1793, Qs: Online Courses for Introduction to Linguistics

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Danielle St. Jean <danielle at linguistlist.org>

Date: 03-Apr-2010
From: Tania Ionin < tionin at illinois.edu >

Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 13:18:47
From: Tania Ionin [tionin at illinois.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-1793.html&submissionid=2623354&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

Dear fellow linguists,

I was wondering if anyone knows of good online courses (in the U.S.)
that cover the material of a typical Introduction to Linguistics class. Intro
to Linguistics is a pre-requisite for students in our MA in TESL
program, and occasionally students ask if they can fulfill the
requirement via an online course. I would like to find a regularly offered
online course that I could suggest to them. The course would need to
cover standard Intro to Linguistics content, including introduction to
phonetics/phonology, morphology/syntax, and semantics/pragmatics,
and preferably also include something on language acquisition. I would
appreciate any information and links, and will post a summary based on

Thank you in advance!

Tania Ionin
Assistant Professor of Linguistics
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
FLB 4080
707 S. Mathews Ave.
Urbana, IL 61801
tionin at illinois.edu