21.1963, Jobs: Language Acquisition; Sociolinguistics: Asst Prof, U of Salford

Sat Apr 24 13:43:32 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-1963. Sat Apr 24 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.1963, Jobs: Language Acquisition; Sociolinguistics: Asst Prof, U of Salford

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Date: 23-Apr-2010
From: Heather Craddock < hcraddock at adsfab.com >
Subject: Language Acquisition; Sociolinguistics: Assistant Professor, University of Salford, United Kingdom

Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 09:42:22
From: Heather Craddock [hcraddock at adsfab.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-1963.html&submissionid=2629114&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: University of Salford
Department: School of Languages
Job Location: Salford, Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
Web Address: http://www.hr.salford.ac.uk

Job Rank: Assistant Professor

Specialty Areas: Language Acquisition; Sociolinguistics

School of Languages
Assistant Professor in Sociolinguistics
(Language Variation and Change)
Assistant Professor £36,715 - £43,840 PA REF: 1132554

The School of Languages is a centre of excellence in applied language
study, and has a well established reputation for its teaching, research and
engagement work in linguistics (descriptive, theoretical and applied,
including language pedagogy), translation and interpreting studies and a
large and growing number of modern languages (including English as a
foreign language).

We are now looking to make a key appointment which reflects our strategic
plans for future development:
-  Assistant Professor in Sociolinguistics (Language Variation and Change),
to work within a growing team of linguists on the development of existing
taught undergraduate and postgraduate modules, in particular in
variationist sociolinguistics and in historical linguistics. It is expected
that the successful applicant will have an established or emerging research
profile in sociolinguistically informed approaches to language variation
and change, and will have the capacity to supervise PhD students in this
area. Ideally, the successful applicant will also have expertise in one of
the School's modern foreign languages.
-  In line with the level at which appointment is made, you will be
expected to contribute to the delivery of our academic portfolio in:
teaching & learning at all levels; research & innovation (with a view to
inclusion in the forthcoming Research Excellence Framework, including
attracting and supervising research students, and successfully bidding for
research funding); and external engagement activities in line with our
strategic priorities. In addition, you will be expected to make a
contribution to school administration and, for the more senior appointment,
management and leadership.

The appointments will be full time and permanent.

Informal enquiries regarding these posts can be made to Dr Paul Rowlett,
Head of School, telephone 0161 295 4131, email P.A.Rowlett at salford.ac.uk or
Professor Diane Blakemore, Head of Linguistics, telephone 0161 295 4948,
email D.Blakemore at salford.ac.uk (for the Sociolinguistics (Language
Variation and Change) post).

For further details and to make an application, please visit the Human
Resources Division eRecruitment website at http://www.hr.salford.ac.uk. CVs
will not be accepted without an online application.

Forms to be returned by: 21 May 2010

At the University of Salford we are committed to an inclusive approach to
promoting equality and diversity. We aim to have a more diverse workforce
at all levels of the institution and particularly welcome applications from
people from minority ethnic backgrounds and people with disabilities, who
are under-represented in our workforce.

Application Deadline: 21-May-2010

Web Address for Applications: http://www.hr.salford.ac.uk
Contact Information: