21.2026, Qs: Applying Vendler's Test to a Class of Verbs in Turkish

Wed Apr 28 17:29:07 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-2026. Wed Apr 28 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.2026, Qs: Applying Vendler's Test to a Class of Verbs in Turkish

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Danielle St. Jean <danielle at linguistlist.org>

Date: 22-Apr-2010
From: Ayten Gungor < agungor at syr.edu >

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 13:22:52
From: Ayten Gungor [agungor at syr.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-2026.html&submissionid=2628974&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

I am a graduate student at Syracuse University, and for my class in
Semantics, my research project is to study and find out a test that
shows the distinction between the stative vs. dynamic verbs in Turkish.
So far I have tried and applied Vendler's/Dowty's tests, but they did not
work for Turkish: stative verbs can occur in progressive, they can also
occur as complements of force and persuasion, and also they can
occur as imperatives in Turkish.

If anyone can suggest any other tests that can be used for this type of
verb class, it would be very helpful.

Thank you,
Ayten Gungor

Linguistic Field(s): Semantics