21.3213, Qs: Phonology - Morphology Interaction

Mon Aug 9 13:24:49 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-3213. Mon Aug 09 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.3213, Qs: Phonology - Morphology Interaction

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Elyssa Winzeler <elyssa at linguistlist.org>

Date: 09-Aug-2010
From: Diane Brentari < brentari at purdue.edu >
Subject: Phonology - Morphology Interaction

Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2010 09:22:41
From: Diane Brentari [brentari at purdue.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-3213.html&submissionid=2644014&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

I am currently working on an article on the morphophonological interactions in
sign language classifier constructions.  To supplement my research, I want to
find parallels in spoken language inflectional morphology for what I have
already found in sign language classifier constructions.  I'm looking for a
language that uses a specific class of sounds for a particular class of
morphology.  A simple (but hypothetical) case would be if a language used only
vowels for tense affixes, and only consonants for person morphology - i.e.,  'a'
(pres.), 'i' (past) 'u' (future) and 't' (1sg), 'p' (2sg), 'k' (3sg).  It could
be more subtle, such as plain consonants used for person markers and consonants
with a secondary articulation used for tense markers.

So far I have consulted online databases for my project, as well the following
resources:

On Semitic languages:
McCarthy 1979. (and similar subsequent work on prosodic phonology)
On Latvian:
Mathiassen, Terje. 1996. A Short Grammar of Latvian.
On general issues of morphology:
Anderson, Stephen . 1992. A-Morphous Morphology.
Mathews, P.H. 1991. Morphology. Cambridge University Press.

I would be happy if anyone could recommend similar information or insight on
this matter.  Thank you in advance, and please respond directly to
brentari at purdue.edu.

Diane Brentari
Professor, Linguistics Program
Purdue University