21.3229, All: Obituary: Professor Werner Winter (1923 ? 2010)

Tue Aug 10 17:41:33 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-3229. Tue Aug 10 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.3229, All: Obituary: Professor Werner Winter (1923 ? 2010)

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Elyssa Winzeler <elyssa at linguistlist.org>

http://linguistlist.org/LL/posttolinguist.cfm

Date: 10-Aug-2010
From: Julia Ulrich < julia.ulrich at degruyter.com >
Subject: Obituary: Professor Werner Winter (1923 ? 2010)

Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 13:39:30
From: Julia Ulrich [julia.ulrich at degruyter.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-3229.html&submissionid=2644154&topicid=1&msgnumber=1

Professor Werner Winter (25.10.1923 - 7.8.2010)

Even when somebody has lived for 86 years and sums up his own life by
saying, 'it was good, it was satisfactory,' and says that he did not miss
anything but his wife, who passed away before he did, death always comes
too early. There are always unfinished plans, friends to be seen,
interesting manuscripts to be read and even more interesting research
questions to follow up on, delicious meals to be eaten, and bottles of good
red wine to be enjoyed. It is our sad duty to inform you that Werner
Winter, Professor Emeritus at Kiel University, passed away on Saturday.

Werner Winter's research interests were multifaceted: Classical Languages;
German; Slavic; and his true passion, Indo-European. His university career
began in Hamburg, then took him to the University of Berne. In 1949 he went
to the United States to teach in Kansas, and moved back to Hamburg before
taking up a position in Texas. Finally, he became chair of Allgemeine und
Historisch-Vergleichende Sprachwissenschaft at the Christian-Albrechts
University of Kiel. He began his editorial work with Mouton in the 1960s.
When Mouton was acquired by Walter de Gruyter in 1976, he became a close
advisor to the governing board and remained so since that time. Professor
Winter was the editor of some 220 books in the MOUTON series Trends in
Linguistics (including the subseries Studies and Monographs, Documentation,
and State-of-the-Art Reports). Among many other outstanding publications,
there were several titles under his editorship which became classics in
linguistics: Atlas of Languages of Intercultural Communication in the
Pacific, Asia, and the Americas (Wurm, Mühlhäusler, Tryon, Eds.); Baxter's
A Handbook of Old Chinese Phonology; Indo-European and the Indo-Europeans
(Gamkrelidze and Ivanov); Comparative Austronesian Dictionary (Tryon, Ed.);
Hock's Principles of Historical Linguistics; and Baldi's Foundations of Latin.

In addition to the importance Werner Winter played for the linguistics
community, the publishing company, and linguists who profited from his
hands-on editorship, it should be mentioned what a good sense of humor he
possessed: One day, we googled his name hoping to fill a bibliographical
gap. What turned up was quite unexpected. 'Werner Winter: Europas jüngster
Raubtierdompteur der 1940er Jahre' (Werner Winter: Europe's youngest wild
animal tamer in the 1940s). When asked about it, he promptly responded,
'well, that´s what I did before I came to work in linguistics!'

He is survived by his son Christian. Condolences can be sent to

Dr. Christian Anders Winter
Kirchenstr.6
25899 Niebüll

The funeral will be held in Preetz (Kiel) on August 13 at 11 o'clock in the
Friedhofskapelle Preetz.

We will miss him. We will miss his wit, his expertise, his generosity. We
will miss this and so much more.

On behalf of De Gruyter management and the
De Gruyter Mouton Team,

Anke Beck
Kirstin Börgen
Barbara Karlson