21.3243, Disc: Ask and Answer Questions on CL/NLP

Wed Aug 11 17:59:01 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-3243. Wed Aug 11 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.3243, Disc: Ask and Answer Questions on CL/NLP

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Elyssa Winzeler <elyssa at linguistlist.org>

Date: 29-Jul-2010
From: Leo Ferres < leoferres at gmail.com >
Subject: Ask and Answer Questions on CL/NLP

Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 13:57:49
From: Leo Ferres [leoferres at gmail.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-3243.html&submissionid=2642874&topicid=5&msgnumber=1

Dear all;

I don't know if you're aware of sites like StackOverflow
(http://stackoverflow.com/), where people go to ask questions about
computer science. The questions and the answers get rated by the community,
and the best answers, in a way, 'bubble up' and finally constitute a great
resource.

There are different sites with different topics. The most impressive I have
seen is MathOverflow (http://mathoverflow.net/), where only research
questions get asked. If you check out the users, it looks like a who's-who
of mathematical research.

I was wondering if we help set up an NLP/CL site much like MathOverflow.
There is in fact an incipient attempt at this (see
http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/2761/natural-language-processing-and-computational-linguistics-nlp-cl).
This is, of course, all free. I hope there is enough enthusiasm for this,
since I believe it could be a good thing for the discipline.

Regards,

Leo

Leo Ferres, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Computer Science
University of Concepción, Concepción,
Chile

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics