21.3259, Disc: Hindi Verb Classification

Fri Aug 13 14:12:09 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-3259. Fri Aug 13 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.3259, Disc: Hindi Verb Classification

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Elyssa Winzeler <elyssa at linguistlist.org>

Date: 11-Aug-2010
From: Raymond Doctor < raymond.doctor at gmail.com >
Subject: Hindi Verb Classification

Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 10:10:48
From: Raymond Doctor [raymond.doctor at gmail.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-3259.html&submissionid=2644415&topicid=5&msgnumber=1

Editor's note: This issue contains non-ISO-8859-1 characters.
To view the correct characters, go to http://linguistlist.org/issues/21/21-3259.html.

Dear Linguists,

In Hindi a large number of verbs are of the type: ????? saDnaa 'to rot' and
give rise to sentences such as phal saDaa: 'the fruit rotted.'

Hindi dictionaries normally tag these verbs as Transitive. My query is as
to the exact nature of these verbs. Some close parallels in English would
be 'rot' or 'die' where the agent is also the patient.

Maybe this is a naive question but I have not been able to find a
satisfying answer to my query, nor have I been able to find a term which
exactly characterizes this verb-class.

Many thanks for taking some time off to give thought to this query.
Raymond

Linguistic Field(s): Morphology
                     Syntax

Subject Language(s): Hindi (hin)