21.3270, Qs: Narrative Structure of Business Documents

Fri Aug 13 19:51:42 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-3270. Fri Aug 13 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.3270, Qs: Narrative Structure of Business Documents

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Danielle St. Jean <danielle at linguistlist.org>

Date: 11-Aug-2010
From: Bruce Nevin < bruce.nevin at gmail.com >
Subject: Narrative Structure of Business Documents

Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 15:49:10
From: Bruce Nevin [bruce.nevin at gmail.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-3270.html&submissionid=2644398&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

In some variety of discourse analysis has anyone analyzed the
structures of business narrative documents? I'm on the technical
committee for the Darwin Information Typing Architecture (DITA), an
XML architecture standard under the aegis of the Organization for the
Advancement of Structured Information Standards (OASIS). DITA was
initially based in the requirements of technical and user assistance
documentation. I am on a subcommittee concerned with the broader
range of 'business documents' indicated below.

The class of business narrative documents includes for example:
- Records
- Policies and procedures
- Product development & maintenance documentation (such as
proposals & specifications)
- Technical publications
- Sales and marketing materials
- Memoranda and correspondence
- Newsletters and social media

We have done a fair amount of content analysis toward developing a
metamodel for this range of document types. As the linguist on the
committee I've been asked to locate any pertinent research that may
have been done in our field. I'm talking about structure at a fairly high
level.

I don't have access to a research library. Searches I've undertaken so
far have confirmed my perception that the aspects of document
structure that are of interest for this sort of XML tagging are at a rather
different level from those aspects of narrative structure that are
considered by the different flavors of discourse analysis. I would be
delighted and grateful to have that proven wrong.

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis