21.5026, All: Obituary: Ursula Kleinhenz (15.6.1965 - 9.12.2010)

Sat Dec 11 22:48:25 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-5026. Sat Dec 11 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.5026, All: Obituary: Ursula Kleinhenz (15.6.1965 - 9.12.2010)

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Elyssa Winzeler <elyssa at linguistlist.org>

http://linguistlist.org/LL/posttolinguist.cfm

Date: 10-Dec-2010
From: Julia Ulrich [mouton.editorial at degruyter.com]
Subject: Obituary: Ursula Kleinhenz (15.6.1965 - 9.12.2010)

Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 17:45:13
From: Julia Ulrich [mouton.editorial at degruyter.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-5026.html&submissionid=3794858&topicid=1&msgnumber=1

We dreaded this moment, but knew that the time would come: Ursula, our
friend and colleague, passed away yesterday morning. Like many of you, we
are still in a state of shock and disbelief.

Ursula was diagnosed with breast cancer about two years ago. We all hoped
and wished that she would make a full recovery, but she knew that life was
not without end. 'Die Unsterblichkeit ist nicht jedermanns Sache' said a
postcard next to her bed.

Ursula received her PhD in phonology at the University of Tübingen in 1999.
She then worked at the Zentrum für Allgemeine Sprachwissenschaft in Berlin
before she joined De Gruyter MOUTON in 2000. Ursula was a dedicated and
passionate editor. She loved her work and she loved her authors; she loved
travelling and meeting people; she was a very fast and creative thinker;
and she could cook for 30 people without any difficulty. Ursula was a good
team-player, cared for people, was known for her resounding laugh, loved
sailing and being outdoors in the fresh air. She definitely did not like
restrictive conventions, filing, and being at a stand-still. She was a real
firecracker!

She did not want to die a quiet death and invited many people to accompany
her on her last journey. She started a forum on a popular women´s
magazine's website Brigitte
(http://bfriends.brigitte.de/foren/brustkrebs/130691-fernmetastasen-oder-die-illusion-von-der-eigenen-unsterblichkeit.html)
and a journalist did a story about her life at the hospice in Morgenpost
(http://www.morgenpost.de/printarchiv/familie/article1412871/Die-Weggefaehrtin.html).
She allowed us into her world and gave us insight on how it feels to be
dying. Maybe not surprisingly, she wished that her Facebook account be kept
active beyond her death. This is why we would like to encourage you to
visit her page and take a look at the wonderful pictures she posted. She
wanted to share them with you all.

Ursula had very definite ideas about her funeral service. Once we know the
details, we will inform you. Should you wish to convey a message to her
family, we will be happy to collect condolences here and pass them on.

Ursula, we all miss you so very much and are unbelievably sad.

Anke Beck
Kirstin Börgen
Barbara Karlson
Katja Lehming