21.5186, Jobs: Lang Documentation, Phonetics: Scientist, Haskins Laboratories

Mon Dec 20 22:48:03 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-5186. Mon Dec 20 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.5186, Jobs: Lang Documentation, Phonetics: Scientist, Haskins Laboratories

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Erin Smith <erin at linguistlist.org>
          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: 20-Dec-2010
From: Douglas H. Whalen [whalen at haskins.yale.edu]
Subject: Language Documentation, Phonetics: Scientist, Haskins Laboratories, Connecticut, USA

Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 17:46:55
From: Douglas H. Whalen [whalen at haskins.yale.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-5186.html&submissionid=3796256&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Haskins Laboratories
Job Location: Connecticut, USA
Web Address: http://www.haskins.yale.edu
Job Rank: Scientist

Specialty Areas: Language Documentation; Phonetics

Required Language(s): Arapaho (arp)
                      Nahuatl, Guerrero (ngu)
                      Tarahumara, Central (tar)

A new NSF-funded project invites applications for a two-year post-doctoral
level scientific position in the phonetics of endangered languages. The
languages to be studied are Arapaho (arp), Tarahumara (tar) and Nahuatl
(ngu).  Applications are welcome from scholars who study phonetics and/or
multimedia data processing and archiving.

The researcher will be responsible for making phonetic measurements on
existing datasets, collecting new data, and maintaining archival records of
the project.  Familiarity with Algonquian and/or Uto-Aztecan languages is a
plus.  Fluency in Spanish is desirable.  Excellent organizational skills,
the ability to keep to deadlines, and an attention to detail are essential.

Applicants must have completed all the requirements for the Ph.D. (or
equivalent) by the time of appointment.  Foreign applicants must be able to
obtain an H1b visa.

The position will remain open until filled and can begin immediately.
Applicants should send the following materials in PDF format by email
attachment to whalen at haskins.yale.edu, with the subject heading of
"Scientist Application":
1) a cover letter: Please detail your experience in acoustic analysis and
multimedia linguistic data archiving.  Also include the names and address
of three individuals who can write letters of recommendation.
2) a full curriculum vitae
3) a two-page summary of the dissertation
4) a writing sample consisting of either a dissertation chapter or an article

Address inquiries to Douglas H. Whalen at the application email listed below.

For a general description of Haskins Laboratories, see our website.

For an abstract of the project, see:

http://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward.do?AwardNumber=0966411

We will be interviewing at the LSA meeting in Pittsburgh.

AA/EOE: Applications from women and members of under-represented groups are
especially encouraged.

Email Address for Applications: whalen at haskins.yale.edu
Contact Information:
	Douglas H. Whalen