21.5202, Qs: Baluchi, Persian and English: Questionnaire Advice

Wed Dec 22 00:15:44 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-5202. Tue Dec 21 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.5202, Qs: Baluchi, Persian and English: Questionnaire Advice

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Danielle St. Jean <danielle at linguistlist.org>

Date: 30-Nov-2010
From: Tayyebe Noori [nooritayebe at yahoo.com]

Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 19:12:00
From: Tayyebe Noori [nooritayebe at yahoo.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-5202.html&submissionid=3793456&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

Hello,

I'm an MA student in linguistics in southeast of Iran working on the
Baluchi language for my thesis. The title of my thesis is "A Comparison
of English Language Structure Learning between Monolingual and
Bilingual English Foreign Learners (EFL) of Zahedan, Iranshahr &
Chabahar Universities, (Southeastern Iran)".

I've tried to find a questionnaire measuring grammar structure between
Persian students and Baloch students who are learning English as a
3rd language in courses at the universities, but I couldn't find
anything on the internet.

I found out that Balouchi language has more accents and even
dialects; I considered Baluchi language structure which is spoken in the
north of Sistan & Baluchestan province located in the southeast of Iran.
There are not many differences between these two languages
structurally: they are mainly different in how they use adjectives and
possessive adjectives. Baluchi people in this part of the province use
adjectives and possessive adjectives in a way that is like the English
structure, so this means adjectives and possessive adjectives come
before nouns, whereas in Persian they follow nouns.

So I need two types of the tests for testing the students' grammar
structure. The first one is a usual proficiency standard test for the 2nd
and 3rd term English learning students, and then after controlling the
variables and making my statistical society homogeneous, I should use
a second type of the test, that would be a usual English grammar test.

Any advice or tips in creating such tests would be very helpful. Or, if
anyone knows of tests like this that already exist, I would be grateful if
you could direct me to them.

Also if you could help me, or at least you know more people working on
the Baluchi language all over the world, and could put me in contact
with them, that would be very kind of you, and I will be more thankful, if
you ask them about that questionnaire, measuring just grammar
structure on Baluchi students learning English as their third language.

Also if you have some new online books (like an Iranian Baluchi
language grammar) and also books and essays on bilingualism, and
learning a third language, that would be really helpful.

I thank you all for helping me on my thesis.

                     Language Acquisition
                     Sociolinguistics

Subject Language(s): Balochi, Southern (bcc)
                     Balochi, Western (bgn)