21.525, Qs: Call for Participants: SemEval Shared Task 10

Tue Feb 2 18:12:21 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-525. Tue Feb 02 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.525, Qs: Call for Participants: SemEval Shared Task 10

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Danielle St. Jean <danielle at linguistlist.org>

Date: 25-Jan-2010
From: Josef Ruppenhofer < josefr at coli.uni-sb.de >
Subject: Call for Participants: SemEval Shared Task 10

Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 13:09:06
From: Josef Ruppenhofer [josefr at coli.uni-sb.de]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-525.html&submissionid=2607775&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

Call for Participation
SemEval-2010 Shared Task #10:

Linking Events and Their Participants in Discourse

http://www.coli.uni-saarland.de/projects/semeval2010_FG/

Training Data now available

This shared task should appeal to researchers working on:
- Semantic role labelling (FrameNet or PropBank)
- Co-reference resolution, or
- Information extraction.

Background:
Semantic role labelling (SRL) has traditionally been viewed as
sentence-internal problem. However, it is clear that there is an interplay
between local semantic argument structure and the surrounding
discourse. In this shared task, we would like to take SRL beyond the
domain of isolated sentences by linking local semantic argument
structures to the wider discourse context. In particular, we aim to find
fillers for roles which are left unfilled in the local context (null
instantiations, NIs). An example is given below, where the 'charges'
role ('arg2' in PropBank) of "cleared" is left empty but can be linked to
"murder" in the previous sentence:

"In a lengthy court case the defendant was tried for murder."
"In the end, he was cleared."

Short Task Description:
Participants can tackle either (or both) of the following two tasks, which
will be evaluated independently:

Full Task:
The test set will be annotated with GOLD Standard frames. For each
lexical unit annotated with a frame, participants have to:
- find the semantic arguments (role recognition)
- label them with the correct role (role labelling)
- find links between null instantiated roles and their fillers in the
wider discourse context if such links exist (NI linking)

NIs-only Task:
The test set will be annotated with GOLD Standard local semantic
argument structure; only the fillers of null instantiations have to be
found.

Note: We provide the annotated data in both FrameNet and PropBank
style. Participants can choose with which framework they want to work.
The two frameworks are evaluated separately.

For more details see the task web site
(http://www.coli.uni-saarland.de/projects/semeval2010_FG/) and the
following paper:

Josef Ruppenhofer, Caroline Sporleder, Roser Morante, Collin Baker
and Martha Palmer. 'SemEval-2010 Task 10: Linking Events and Their
Participants in Discourse'. The NAACL-HLT 2009 Workshop on
Semantic Evaluations: Recent Achievements and Future Directions
(SEW-09), Boulder, Colorado, USA, June 4, 2009.

http://www.coli.uni-saarland.de/~csporled/papers/sew09.pdf

Data Sets:
We provide training and (later) test data of running text from the fiction
domain. The data sets are freely available and downloadable from the
SemEval website (http://semeval2.fbk.eu/semeval2.php). The training
set for both tasks is annotated with:
- GOLD Standard semantic argument structure (FrameNet and
PropBank style)
- linking information for null instantiations
- co-reference chains (for evaluation purposes)

Participants are also free to make use of external resources, such as
the FrameNet (FN) or PropBank/NomBank releases. (We distribute the
FN-style training set with an intermediate FrameNet release (1.4
alpha).

Task Organisers:
- Josef Ruppenhofer, Saarland University, Germany
- Caroline Sporleder, Saarland University, Germany
- Roser Morante, University of Antwerp, Belgium
- Collin Baker, ICSI, Berkeley, USA
- Martha Palmer, University of Colorado, Boulder, USA

Contact:
If you're interested in participating in the shared task, please email
Josef Ruppenhofer to inquire about joining our Google group:
http://groups.google.com/group/semeval2010-task10

Task #10 website:
http://www.coli.uni-saarland.de/projects/semeval2010_FG/

SemEval 2010 website:
http://semeval2.fbk.eu/semeval2.php

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics
                     Text/Corpus Linguistics