21.583, Jobs: Spanish, Lang Acq: Project Linguist, Mango Languages

Fri Feb 5 07:45:48 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-583. Fri Feb 05 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.583, Jobs: Spanish, Lang Acq: Project Linguist, Mango Languages

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Erica Wicks <erica at linguistlist.org>

Date: 03-Feb-2010
From: Alan Robertson < alan.robertson at mangolanguage.com >
Subject: Spanish & Language Acquisition: Project Linguist, Mango Languages, Michigan, USA

Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 02:43:03
From: Alan Robertson [alan.robertson at mangolanguage.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-583.html&submissionid=2608935&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Mango Languages
Job Location: Michigan, USA
Web Address: http://www.mangolanguages.com

Job Rank: Project Linguist

Specialty Areas: Language Acquisition

Required Language(s): Spanish (spa)

Project Linguist (Spanish)
Location: Farmington Hills, MI (Candidate must be local!)

Mango Languages is a state-of-the-art software developer that currently
offers more than a dozen language-learning programs. We are looking to
double the number of our course offerings in the next few months, and we
are seeking to fill several positions immediately with highly qualified,
self-motivated linguists to develop our language courses.

Mango teaches people foreign languages by taking into account the way
people actually learn and acquire fluency in foreign languages. Our
talented team of linguists, programmers, designers, and voice talents
incorporate linguistic theories that actually work, and we also bring humor
and levity into the language learning process to keep students (as well as
ourselves) motivated. Our results prove that we teach people languages in a
fun and exciting way!

Overall job summary:
Our Project Linguists are expected to draw upon their expertise in
linguistics and grammatical structure to manage the content of several
different foreign language courses. You will be working with language
teachers and editors from around the globe! In the process of course
development, you will be required to learn the grammatical structure and
cultural references for each language you are assigned. You must be able to
utilize your creative problem solving skills in order to make ideas and
concepts for the course a reality.

Key job responsibilities:
- Quickly learn grammatical structure of assigned languages
- Work closely with language teachers to develop high quality content for
our foreign language courses
- Train and mentor languages teachers on Mango pedagogy, teaching
methodology, work flow process, etc.
- Create and edit documentation to train new teachers on how to develop
foreign language courses utilizing the Mango system
- Responsible for overseeing hiring of new language teachers

Key characteristics:
- Bachelors Degree (Masters preferred) in Linguistics
- Must be fluent in Spanish
- Pure passion for languages
- Excited about developing language learning courses
- Proven track record of learning and utilizing new computer software
- Extremely high attention to detail
- Creative problem solver

Core values
- Entrepreneurial spirit