21.639, FYI: Call for Book Submissions: Fluency in EFL

Mon Feb 8 02:47:23 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-639. Sun Feb 07 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.639, FYI: Call for Book Submissions: Fluency in EFL

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Elyssa Winzeler <elyssa at linguistlist.org>

Date: 05-Feb-2010
From: Steven Herder < steven.herder at gmail.com >
Subject: Call for Book Submissions: Fluency in EFL

Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2010 21:44:28
From: Steven Herder [steven.herder at gmail.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-639.html&submissionid=2609234&topicid=6&msgnumber=1

Call for Submissions:

Fluency in EFL
(An edited volume by EFL practitioners in MASH Collaboration with Paul Nation)

The objective of this volume is to gather the voices of
teachers/researchers in EFL to help explore fluency in their contexts and
how that informs ELT theory, practice, and methodology. In EFL, fluency as
a classroom goal has been largely neglected, for a variety of contextual
and motivational reasons, including:

1) a focus on test preparation, and
2) a perceived lack of authentic opportunities to use English.

Due to a number of relatively recent developments, fluency has been
increasingly recognized as an important classroom objective and essential
component of learner competency. As co-editors, we are calling for
abstracts to bring together practicing teachers and researchers
investigating fluency in the EFL context. We are interested in articles
that deal with some of the following skills:

- Reading fluency
- Listening fluency
- Writing fluency
- Speaking fluency
- Other topics relating to fluency in EFL. One such paper could be
concerned with how to stage introduction of the different fluencies in an
EFL context.

In particular, we are interested in papers that:
- Focus on the introduction and implementation of successful extensive
programs that have lead to measurable and/or observable learning outcomes
- Reviews of EFL contexts describing the development of such practices
- The current growth of extensive approaches in EFL and considerations for
future directions in extensive teaching and research.

This is a proposed volume, and vetting of the volume will proceed as follows:
1. Abstracts up to 500 words to researchingasia at eltresearch.com by May 31,
2010.
2. Successful abstracts will be confirmed on an ongoing basis from when
they are received and will be reviewed until May 31, 2010.
3. Full papers will be due August 31, 2010.
4. Second screening in September will determine manuscripts for the book
proposal.
5. Final edited manuscripts will be due before September 30, 2010.
6. The completed book proposal will be sent to the publisher by October 31,
2010.
7. Proposed publication: Fall, 2011 at the earliest.

Please note that as a proposed book the volume must go through regular
vetting with the publisher. Though we are confident of its importance,
there is no guarantee it will be published.

Thanks for your time and consideration. We are looking forward to receiving
your abstracts. Please feel free to forward this call to potentially
interested colleagues, or to post it to appropriate mailing lists.

All the best,
Theron Muller, Steven Herder, Philip Shigeo Brown and John Gunning
Editors, Fluency in EFL

                     Language Acquisition