21.719, Qs: Stimuli for Eliciting Argument Structure

Thu Feb 11 16:29:13 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-719. Thu Feb 11 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.719, Qs: Stimuli for Eliciting Argument Structure

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Danielle St. Jean <danielle at linguistlist.org>

Date: 10-Feb-2010
From: Kofi Yakpo < kofi.yakpo at gmail.com >
Subject: Stimuli for Eliciting Argument Structure

Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 11:24:17
From: Kofi Yakpo [kofi.yakpo at gmail.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-719.html&submissionid=2609877&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

Our project "Traces of Contact" (Univ. of Nijmegen, Netherlands) on
language contact and historical linguistics is putting together an
elicitation kit on argument realisation. We are looking for visual stimuli
(picture tasks and video clips) to add to our elicitation kit in order to
elicit:

- Semantic roles and grammatical relations
- Valency and valency adjustments and other argument structure
related phenomena

Additonal elicitation material and any hints as to where to get stimuli will
be greatly appreciated. The source of elicitation material will, of course,
be duly acknowledged!

Project Description:
"Traces of Contact" is a five year project that aims at establishing
criteria by which results from language contact studies can be used to
strengthen the field of historical linguistics. The aim is to formulate
criteria that can allow us to observe with greater accuracy whether a
language undergoes changes due to outside influence or whether
these changes result from the dynamics of the language itself.

A number of multilingual contact situations with differring time depth
and geographical extent are looked at in detail: the languages of the
Amazonian fringe (thousands of years of contact), the multilingual
society of Suriname (five hundred years of contact), the multilingual,
post-migration society of The Netherlands (fifty years of contact), and
specific groups of young bi-/multilinguals in an experimental setting (ten
to twenty years of contact).

The same two grammatical phenomena are being analysed with new
techniques in these four contact settings: tense-mood-aspect (TMA)
and evidentiality marking and argument realisation.

Linguistic Field(s): Genetic Classification
                     Historical Linguistics
                     Typology