21.720, Support: General Linguistics: PhD Student, U. of Groningen, Netherlands

Thu Feb 11 16:40:47 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-720. Thu Feb 11 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.720, Support: General Linguistics: PhD Student, U. of Groningen, Netherlands

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Matthew Lahrman <matt at linguistlist.org>

Date: 09-Feb-2010
From: Wyke van der Meer < w.a.van.der.meer at rug.nl >
Subject: General Linguistics: PhD Student, University of Groningen, Netherlands

Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 11:39:02
From: Wyke van der Meer [w.a.van.der.meer at rug.nl]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-720.html&submissionid=2609675&topicid=12&msgnumber=1

Institution/Organization: University of Groningen
Department: Graduate School for the Humanities CLCG
Web Address: http://www.rug.nl/gradschoolhumanities/admissions/phdpositions/index

Level: PhD

Duties: Research

Specialty Areas: General Linguistics

3 PhD research positions in Linguistics at the Graduate School for the
Humanities, University of Groningen

The positions in Linguistics at the Graduate School for the Humanities will be
aligned with the research of the Center for Language and Cognition Groningen
(CLCG). The current structure of research groups within the center is as follows:
Syntax and Semantics, Discourse and Communication, Language Variation and
Language Change, Computational Linguistics, Language and Literacy
Development across the Life Span, Neurolinguistics.

See also: http://www.rug.nl/let/onderzoek/onderzoekinstituten/clcg/index

Secondary
- PhD-positions are for four years on a full-time basis (contract for 18 months, with
an extension of 30 months after a positive evaluation). The PhD will follow a tailor
made research training programme of 20 ECTS and will write a doctoral
dissertation. The successful candidates maybe asked to do some teaching.
- The University of Groningen offers a salary with a minimum of € 2042 gross per
month for a full-time position in the first year and a maximum of € 2612 in the
last year of the appointment.
- The appointment starts preferably 1 September 2010.

Guidelines for applications: http://www.rug.nl/let/onderzoek/onderzoekinstituten/
clcg/positions/

These guidelines should be used for writing your application for a research
position leading to a PhD in our Graduate School. All positions are for a period of
four years, on the condition of a positive evaluation after 18 months.
The goal of the application format is twofold:
1. It will enable us to judge the merit of the topic which you wish to study in
relation to the goals of the specific research programme within the field of
linguistics.
2. It will enable us to compare the relative merits of the applicants efficiently and
with a minimum of bias.
Please respect these guidelines. Applications that do not follow this format will be
rejected.

Your application should consist of the following elements in the following order:
1. A letter of application
2. A curriculum vitae, including date and place of birth, the name of your
secondary school, and (if applicable) list of academic publications
3. A certified copy of your diploma ('doctorandus' or MA degree, or an equivalent)
and your academic record and grades
4. Two academic references
5. A research project proposal of no more than three pages (plus figures and
references).

Our most important question in evaluating project sketches is always: will this
project contribute to our scientific understanding of language? To determine this
we want to know whether an important question is addressed, and whether there
is a reasonable strategy for finding an answer. See for more requirements
regarding the sketch: http://www.rug.nl/let/onderzoek/onderzoekinstituten/clcg/
positions/

On the website of the CLCG, you can find more information on what we expect
from our PhD students:  http://www.rug.nl/let/onderzoek/onderzoekinstituten/clcg/
aio_guidelines
Applications and informal enquiries:
Please send your application with reference number 210074-82 by snail mail to
the director of the Graduate School for the Humanities, prof.dr. C.L.J de Bot, PO
Box 716, 9700 AS Groningen.
You can only apply for positions that are advertised. Applications should be in by
March 15, 2010. For additional information on the PhD positions in Linguistics,
please contact ms. W.A. van der Meer: w.a.van.der.meer at rug.nl

Application Deadline: 15-Mar-2010

Mailing Address for Applications:
	Attn: Prof. dr. C.L.J. de Bot
	Graduate School for the Humanities, Faculty of Arts
	P.O. Box 716
	Groningen 9700 AS
	Netherlands

Contact Information: