21.732, Jobs: General Ling - Various Fields: 3 PhD Positions, U of Groningen

Thu Feb 11 21:59:10 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-732. Thu Feb 11 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.732, Jobs: General Ling - Various Fields: 3 PhD Positions, U of Groningen

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Date: 10-Feb-2010
From: Wyke van der Meer < w.a.van.der.meer at rug.nl >
Subject: General Linguistics - Various Fields: 3 PhD Research Positions, University of Groningen, Netherlands

Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 16:55:45
From: Wyke van der Meer [w.a.van.der.meer at rug.nl]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-732.html&submissionid=2609874&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: University of Groningen
Department: Graduate School for the Humanities
Job Location: Groningen, Netherlands
Web Address: http://www.rug.nl/gradschoolHumanities/index

Job Rank: 3 PhD research positions

Specialty Areas: General Linguistics

3 PhD research positions in Linguistics at the Graduate School for the
Humanities

The positions in Linguistics at the Graduate School for the Humanities will
be aligned with the research of the Center for Language and Cognition
Groningen (CLCG). The current structure of research groups within the
center is as follows: Syntax and Semantics, Discourse and Communication,
Language Variation and Language Change, Computational Linguistics, Language
and Literacy Development across the Life Span, Neurolinguistics.

See also: http://www.rug.nl/let/onderzoek/onderzoekinstituten/clcg/index

Secundary
- PhD-positions are for four years on a full-time basis (contract for 18
months, with an extension of 30 months after a positive evaluation). The
PhD will follow a tailor made research training programme of 20 ECTS and
will write a doctoral dissertation. The successful candidates maybe asked
to do some teaching.
- The University of Groningen offers a salary with a minimum of 2042 EUR
gross per month for a full-time position in the first year and a maximum of
2612 EUR in the last year of the appointment.
- The appointment starts preferably 1 September 2010.

Guidelines for applications:
http://www.rug.nl/let/onderzoek/onderzoekinstituten/clcg/positions/

These guidelines should be used for writing your application for a research
position leading to a PhD in our Graduate School. All positions are for a
period of four years, on the condition of a positive evaluation after 18
months.
The goal of the application format is twofold:
1. It will enable us to judge the merit of the topic which you wish to
study in relation to the goals of the specific research programme within
the field of linguistics.
2. It will enable us to compare the relative merits of the applicants
efficiently and with a minimum of bias.
Please respect these guidelines. Applications that do not follow this
format will be rejected.

Your application should consist of the following elements in the following
order:
1. A letter of application
2. A curriculum vitae, including date and place of birth, the name of your
secondary school, and (if applicable) list of academic publications
3. A certified copy of your diploma ('doctorandus' or MA degree, or an
equivalent) and your academic record and grades
4. Two academic references
5. A research project proposal of no more than three pages (plus figures
and references).

Our most important question in evaluating project sketches is always: will
this project contribute to our scientific understanding of language? To
determine this we want to know whether an important question is addressed,
and whether there is a reasonable strategy for finding an answer.
See for more requirements regarding the sketch:
http://www.rug.nl/let/onderzoek/onderzoekinstituten/clcg/positions/
On the website of the Center for Language and Cognition, you can find more
information on what we expect from our PhD students:
http://www.rug.nl/let/onderzoek/onderzoekinstituten/clcg/aio_guidelines

Applications and informal enquiries:
Please send your application with reference number 210074-82 by snail mail
to the director of the address below.
You can only apply for positions that are advertised. Applications should
be in by March 15, 2010. For additional information on the PhD positions in
Linguistics, please contact Ms. W.A. van der Meer at the email address below.

Application Deadline: 15-Mar-2010
Mailing Address for Applications:
	Prof. dr. C.L.J. de Bot
	Director Graduate School for the Humanities
	P.O. Box 716
	Groningen 9700 AS
	Netherlands
Contact Information: