21.799, Diss: Socioling: Labridy: 'Movements of Languages in Urban Spaces...'

Tue Feb 16 15:26:45 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-799. Tue Feb 16 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.799, Diss: Socioling: Labridy: 'Movements of Languages in Urban Spaces...'

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Di Wdzenczny <di at linguistlist.org>

Date: 13-Feb-2010
From: Lorene Labridy < lorene.labridy at voila.fr >
Subject: Movements of Languages in Urban Spaces : Diglossia areas VS ditopia areas (Sociolinguistic situation of Fort-de-France town). ORIGINAL TITLE: Les flux de langues en milieu urbain : Espaces diglossiques VS espaces ditopiques. (Situation sociolinguistique de la ville de Fort-de-France)

Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 10:20:49
From: Lorene Labridy [lorene.labridy at voila.fr]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-799.html&submissionid=2610294&topicid=14&msgnumber=1

Institution: University of Rennes
Program: PREFics - Plurilinguismes, Représentations, Expressions Francophones - information, communication, sociolinguistique
Dissertation Status: Completed
Degree Date: 2009

Author: Lorene Labridy

Dissertation Title: Movements of Languages in Urban Spaces : Diglossia areas VS
ditopia areas (Sociolinguistic situation of Fort-de-France
town). ORIGINAL TITLE: Les flux de langues en milieu urbain
: Espaces diglossiques VS espaces ditopiques. (Situation
sociolinguistique de la ville de Fort-de-France)

Dissertation URL:  http://tel.archives-ouvertes.fr/tel-00404737/fr/

Linguistic Field(s): Sociolinguistics

Dissertation Director(s):
Thierry Bulot

Dissertation Abstract:

Martinique, the crossroads island of the Caribbean, sees arrive each year
on its soil thousands of foreign migrants in transit or settle. Its major
town (since it is a French department) is the main stage of these important
movements, by its location - it is located in the center of the island -
but also because of his 'status capital'. It is also generating migration
within the island: the city is inevitable despite a growing
decentralization effort. As a result, the current languages clash,
intermingle and cohabit. The languages of the migrants add to the two
current languages on the ground, French and Creole. They use it as a means
of integration. Our main goal is to exceed this vision of the diglossia
situation within our sociolinguistic literature. We seek to show that there
is a polyglossic case within the report diglossic French / Creole that the
urban language contacts favor. In addition, diglossia not considering the
spatiality, we prefer the concept of ditopie which reflects the spatial
representations of speakers in diglossia situation. We take specially into
account to address those migrants, Foyalais and, on a central theme,
languages, in particular, Creole, and the city. We work in the light of
research carried out within the framework of the urban Sociolinguistics and
the tools it offers.