21.815, Support: General Linguistics: Open Student, University of York, UK

Wed Feb 17 17:50:56 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-815. Wed Feb 17 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.815, Support: General Linguistics: Open Student, University of York, UK

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Matthew Lahrman <matt at linguistlist.org>

Date: 15-Feb-2010
From: Susan Pintzuk < sp20 at york.ac.uk >
Subject: General Linguistics: Open Student, University of York, United Kingdom

Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 12:49:32
From: Susan Pintzuk [sp20 at york.ac.uk]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-815.html&submissionid=2610457&topicid=12&msgnumber=1

Institution/Organization: University of York
Department: Language and Linguistic Science
Web Address: http://www.york.ac.uk/depts/lang

Level: Open

Specialty Areas: General Linguistics

The Department of Language and Linguistic Science, University of York, UK will
award up to 5 fees-only studentships to postgraduate students (PhD/MA/MSc)
entering the department in 2010-11. In the results of the latest Research
Assessment Exercise released in December 2008, York Linguistics ranked second in
the UK for linguistic research. Two-thirds of our research was judged to be
world-leading / internationally excellent; our research environment was judged
particularly excellent. Moreover, the University of York was rated one of the
UK's top 10 research universities.

Each studentship has a value of a fees waiver at the home/EU rate (£3484 in
2010-11) during the period of registration (three years for PhD students, one
year for MA/MSc students). Successful applicants will be required to meet the
balance of the costs of their course and living expenses. The recipients of
these awards will be required to undertake up to six hours per week of research-
or teaching-related work or other duties during term time; the nature of the
work will depend on the successful applicants' qualifications.

Applications are invited from prospective PhD/MA/MSc students in any of the
major research areas of the department: forensic speech science, phonetics and
phonology, psycholinguistics and language acquisition, semantics,
sociolinguistics and language variation and change, and syntax. We welcome
applicants with teaching experience, but the studentships are open to all
postgraduate applicants -- home, EU and overseas -- whether or not you have
taught before. Success in winning the studentships may depend upon the area(s)
in which you are qualified to teach. You must have received a conditional offer
from the University of York before your application for a studentship can be
considered. For further information and the procedure for application, go to
http://www.york.ac.uk/depts/lang/prospective/postgrad/funding/feesonly.htm

Application Deadline: 30-Apr-2010

Web Address for Applications: http://www.york.ac.uk/depts/lang/prospective/postgrad/funding/feesonly.htm

Contact Information: