21.818, Qs: Grammaticality Judgment Task Instructions

Wed Feb 17 18:57:59 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-818. Wed Feb 17 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.818, Qs: Grammaticality Judgment Task Instructions

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Danielle St. Jean <danielle at linguistlist.org>

Date: 16-Feb-2010
From: Jennifer Culbertson < culbertson at cogsci.jhu.edu >
Subject: Grammaticality Judgment Task Instructions

Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 13:56:30
From: Jennifer Culbertson [culbertson at cogsci.jhu.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-818.html&submissionid=2610675&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

Dear Linguist List Readers,

I am working on a project investigating the connection between
acceptability/grammaticality judgments and speaker's underlying
linguistic competence. This project in part involves looking at the
reliability and consistency of such judgments across groups of
speakers.

One issue that I am grappling with is the lack of a standard set of
instructions used for such tasks, and I am hoping that those of you who
have experience conducting such tasks could provide me with the
instructions that you used. This will allow me to get a better idea of
what is typical in the field.

If you have conducted a judgment task (in any language) and would be
willing to send me the set of instructions you provided to your subjects
as well as very brief line about what you were investigating (or a
reference for any relevant publications), I would very much appreciate
it.

I also welcome any references to work that you are aware of that uses
acceptability/grammaticality judgments and contains explicit
instructions.

I have already consulted Schutze (1996) and Sprouse (2007) and the
references therein.

I will post a summary of responses.

Thanks very much in advance,
-Jenny Culbertson