21.875, Disc: Ranya Morsi's Dissertation Considered

Sun Feb 21 19:04:19 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-875. Sun Feb 21 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.875, Disc: Ranya Morsi's Dissertation Considered

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Elyssa Winzeler <elyssa at linguistlist.org>

Date: 18-Feb-2010
From: Hassan Semhi < h.semhi at yahoo.co.uk >
Subject: Ranya Morsi's Dissertation Considered

Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 14:02:42
From: Hassan Semhi [h.semhi at yahoo.co.uk]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-875.html&submissionid=2611375&topicid=5&msgnumber=1

This is a brief discussion addressed to Ranya Morsi in particular and to
linguistic community in general. There is an amazing correlation between
the acquisition of tense/ subject-verb agreement in language impaired
children and normal children. I find it very interesting and useful to shed
light on the topic. It seems that most verbal constructions, if not all,
look like imperatives in language acquisition and language impairment.

Based on research on the acquisition of Moroccan Arabic, I found that
verbal constructions in 2-3 year-old children lack tense because of the
absence of the negative particle at this age. Once the negative form is
triggered around 3 years, the tense feature is also acquired. For me there
is a mysterious reason why, for children in language acquisition/ language
impairment, tense is lacking and/or delayed respectively.

Linguistic Field(s): Language Acquisition
                     Psycholinguistics