21.893, Jobs: Dutch; Disc Analysis, Pragmatics: PhD Position, U of Groningen

Tue Feb 23 16:17:44 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-893. Tue Feb 23 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.893, Jobs: Dutch; Disc Analysis, Pragmatics: PhD Position, U of Groningen

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Date: 22-Feb-2010
From: Wyke van der Meer < w.a.van.dermneer at rug.nl >
Subject: Dutch; Discourse Analysis, Pragmatics: PhD Position, University of Groningen, Netherland

Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 11:15:59
From: Wyke van der Meer [w.a.van.dermneer at rug.nl]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-893.html&submissionid=2611934&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: University of Groningen
Department: Center for Language and Cognition
Job Location: Groningen, Netherlands
Web Address: http://www.rug.nl/let/onderzoek/onderzoekinstituten/clcg/positions/index

Job Rank: PhD position

Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; Discourse Analysis; General Linguistics; Neurolinguistics; Pragmatics; Psycholinguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics

Required Language(s): Dutch (nld)

2 PhD positions in Language & Interaction (Daily and Aphasic Dutch)

University of Groningen, Faculty of Arts
Center for Language and Cognition

The PhD positions are part of the NWO-funded Vidi research project "The
Conversation Frame: Linguistic Forms and Communicative Functions in
Discourse", awarded to Dr. Esther Pascual. The program examines the
relation between language, interaction and cognition, i.e. what Pascual
calls 'fictive interaction'. The main focus is on (intra-)sentential
interactional structures -often expressed through direct speech- that
reflect the conversational pattern of turn-taking. Examples are: "an
attitude that says 'what's in it for me?'", "a 'what's in it for me?'
attitude". The language data will be daily and aphasic Dutch discourse from
adult native speakers. The program is organized around two related PhD
projects. We are inviting applications for one of these PhD projects.

Project 1 (1,0 fte).
'Fictive Interaction' in Daily Dutch (vacancy 210089)
The PhD candidate will examine the different forms and functions of
(intra-)sentential conversational structures in various genres, through the
study of a wide range of oral and written corpora of old and modern Dutch.

See for application details the separate advert at:
http://www.academictransfer.com/employer/RUG/vacancy/3379/lang/en/

Project 2 (1,0 fte).
'Fictive Interaction' in Aphasic Dutch (vacancy 210090)
The PhD candidate will examine the use of (intra-)sentential interactional
structures as adaptation strategy in natural conversations of
speech-impaired individuals with Broca's aphasia (e.g. "Joe: 'oh dear, oh
dear'" for "Joe was really worried"; "Sugar? No!" for "I am a diabetic").

See for application details the separate advert at:
http://www.academictransfer.com/employer/RUG/vacancy/3380/lang/en/

Application Deadline: 01-Apr-2010
Mailing Address for Applications:
	Prof. dr. C.L.J. de Bot