21.965, Jobs: English, German, Comp Ling: Computational Linguist, SAP Labs

Fri Feb 26 20:18:49 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-965. Fri Feb 26 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.965, Jobs: English, German, Comp Ling: Computational Linguist, SAP Labs

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Erica Wicks <erica at linguistlist.org>

Date: 25-Feb-2010
From: Jackie Hall < jackie.hall at sap.com >
Subject: English; German, Standard & Computational Linguistics, Text/Corpus Linguistics: English & German Computational Linguist, SAP Labs, California, USA

Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 15:17:07
From: Jackie Hall [jackie.hall at sap.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-965.html&submissionid=2613055&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: SAP Labs
Job Location: California, USA
Web Address: http://sap.com

Job Rank: English & German Computational Linguist

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics

Required Language(s): English (eng)
                      German, Standard (deu)

English & German Computational Linguist
Location - Palo Alto

Purpose and Objectives
With more than 95,000 customers in 120 countries worldwide, SAP helps
organizations develop, optimize, and execute their business and IT
strategies by integrating end-to-end business processes into a single
platform. As a leader in enterprise software, SAP allows companies to get
better insight into their business, improve their decision making
capabilities, and optimize their enterprise performance. SAP provides
leading software for reporting, query and analysis, performance management,
analytic applications and enterprise information management, and consulting
and customer support services to ensure our customers' success.
The Text Analysis team is part of the SAP technology development group that
focuses on the development of Natural Language Processing (NLP) and
Information Extraction technologies. Based in Palo Alto, CA, and Boston,
MA, the Text Analysis team combines the talents of computational linguists
and skilled software engineers to deliver high-quality NLP technology in
all major languages. This groundbreaking technology includes a
comprehensive set of advanced text analysis tools such as search,
categorization, and entity, event and relationship extraction for use in
business intelligence applications.

Expectations and Tasks
The Text Analysis team has an immediate need for a senior computational
linguist who will be responsible for the German language modules in our NLP
products. This includes the creation, maintenance and augmentation of
machine-readable dictionaries, grammar rules, and parsing algorithms, as
well as the development and maintenance of tools for the automation and
support of linguistic tasks. The successful candidate will be part of a
small and dedicated team, working on the next generation of Text Analytics
tools.
*Be a team player with a team focus on delivering high-quality products on time
*Enhance the accuracy of our core technologies, continually research and
add new cutting edge features, optimize the performance of core engines to
achieve breakthrough results.

Education and Qualifications and Competencies
*BS/MA in Computational Linguistics or a similar discipline with 3 -5 years
experience in the NLP industry
*Native or near-native knowledge of German
*Fluency in English
*Strong background in syntax and morphology
*Proficiency in at least one data manipulation language (Perl or Python
preferred)
*Strict adherence to formal, documented development processes
*Excellent verbal and written communication skills

Work Experience
Preferred:
* Experience with regular expressions (regex)
*Experience with finite state automata in NLP applications
*Experience with developing or maintaining modules for human languages
other than immediate area of expertise
*Knowledge of advanced information retrieval techniques/automated text
categorization
*Good working knowledge of at least one programming language (C++ preferred)
*Full understanding of the software development life cycle (experience with
Agile/Scrum helpful but not necessary)
Our supportive culture helps you build your skills and expertise through
exposure to transnational projects and opportunities, a team of some of the
brightest minds in the industry, and a focus on learning and development.
You provide the passion and direction, and we'll give you the support and
opportunity you need to evolve your career.

Application Deadline: 25-May-2010

Email Address for Applications: jackie.hall at sap.com
Contact Information:
	Sr Recruiter Jackie Hall