21.17, Jobs: English & African American English: Researcher, Northwestern U

Mon Jan 4 23:45:10 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-17. Mon Jan 04 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.17, Jobs: English & African American English: Researcher, Northwestern U

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Date: 29-Dec-2009
From: Kathleen Geraghty < k-geraghty at northwestern.edu >
Subject: English & African American English: Researcher, Northwestern University, IL, USA

Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 18:42:43
From: Kathleen Geraghty [k-geraghty at northwestern.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-17.html&submissionid=2232896&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Northwestern University
Job Location: Illinois, USA
Web Address: http://articulab.northwestern.edu

Job Rank: Researcher

Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; Cognitive Science; General Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Sociolinguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics; African American English

Required Language(s): English (eng)

We are seeking a researcher with to join our dynamic, interdisciplinary
research team for a fixed-term appointment (appointment to end July 31,
2010) in the ArticuLab at Northwestern University. This position will work
within our team of researchers to contribute to the advancement and
development of our NSF-funded research on a virtual peer system for science
literacy. Advanced training in linguistics, psychology, education, child
development, African American studies or related field is required.
Recruitment is ongoing, but we expect to hire by January 15th. More
information on current projects can be found at: articulab.northwestern.edu .

Requirements:
- Advanced training (Masters or PhD, or significant experience and an
undergraduate degree) in Linguistics, Psychology, Education, Computer
Science, Child Development, African American studies or a related field.
- Ability to communicate effectively with multiple project stakeholders,
including programmers, faculty, researchers, and undergraduate students
- Ability to follow existing coding schemes and develop coding schemes for
verbal and non-verbal behaviors, and creative analysis techniques
- Able to direct teams of undergraduates in coding and analyzing data
- Ability to quickly summarize, integrate, and implement state-of-the-art
research techniques into the current project
- Able to write about the project for reports
- Highly motivated, organized and detail-oriented. Ability to work
independently and take leadership when needed.
- Working directly with the PI, coordinate and manage multiple aspects of
the research process, including IRB compliance, relationships with off-site
locations (such as schools and consultants from other universities),
equipment procurement, and data management
- Proficient in statistical analysis for the social/behavioral sciences.
Proficient use of at least 1 statistical software package, e.g. SPSS, JMP,
Stata, MatLab, R or other.

Responsibilities:
Working directly with the PI and technical staff, the researcher will:
- Analyze linguistic and behavioral data using statistical software;
prepare and present analysis for publications and presentation
- Develop and refine coding schemas for verbal and non-verbal behavior
- Conduct and/or supervise data collection with children at off-site locations
- Train and supervise undergraduate research assistants
- Maintain and organize inventory of video and audio data
- Work closely with technical team to make sure system is programmed to
follow social science theory and results
- Maintain IRB compliance in all data collection and aspects of the research
- Collaborate to produce publications and presentations of the research
work (good possibility to get authorship on publications)

Application Deadline: 30-Jan-2010

Email Address for Applications: justine at northwestern.edu
Contact Information:
	Dr. Justine Cassell