21.2787, Qs: Discourse Analysis Textbooks with Movie and Sound Files

Fri Jul 2 17:46:38 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-2787. Fri Jul 02 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.2787, Qs: Discourse Analysis Textbooks with Movie and Sound Files

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Danielle St. Jean <danielle at linguistlist.org>

Date: 01-Jul-2010
From: Oi May Wong < omwong at ntu.edu.sg >

Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 13:44:19
From: Oi May Wong [omwong at ntu.edu.sg]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-2787.html&submissionid=2639934&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

We have a Professor who urgently needs to locate books similar to
Emanuel Schegloff's "Sequence Organization in Interaction." Here is a
link to this book's information:

http://www.cambridge.org/us/catalogue/catalogue.asp?
isbn=9780521532792

The book also comes with data files. These data files are film clips
which accompany transcribed dialogues in the book itself.  Can you
help me identify similar titles which come with such data files? Our
professor needs to use such books for his course.

The materials (video clips of real-life conversations together with
accompanying transcripts) are needed for teaching and class use.
Titles such as "Sequence Organization in Interaction" by Emanuel
Schegloff contain video clips of real-life conversations and interactions
and these go together with the accompanying transcripts in the book.
The video clips are important as body language and other
paralinguistic cues are important features to look out for in
conversation analysis. Eg. Chicken dinner (a dinner conversation)
http://www.cambridge.org/resources/0521532795/3751_(1,02)%20Chic
ken%20Dinner%204,28-5,06.mov

The students will be studying the video clips and the transcriptions in
class.

I hope that you can help me out with suggestions for similar sources
that include materials like those described above.

Thank you very much.
-  Oi May Wong

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis