21.2941, Disc: Linguistic Particularities in the Yucatan

Fri Jul 16 14:31:15 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-2941. Fri Jul 16 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.2941, Disc: Linguistic Particularities in the Yucatan

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Elyssa Winzeler <elyssa at linguistlist.org>

Date: 14-Jul-2010
From: Win Whelan < wwhelan at sbu.edu >
Subject: Linguistic Particularities in the Yucatan

Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 09:29:07
From: Win Whelan [wwhelan at sbu.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-2941.html&submissionid=2641254&topicid=5&msgnumber=1

Hello,

I have heard that people who speak Spanish in the Yucatan, Mexico, speak it
with a distinct accent and vocabulary that is derived or mixed with Mayan.
 'x' is pronounced like 'sh' and words from Mayan have crept into the
Spanish.  Can you give more examples like this?  Can you tell me anything
more about how they speak in the Yucatan, their particular version of
Spanish?

Thanks!
Win

Linguistic Field(s): Sociolinguistics