21.2430, FYI: Arizona Department of Education Accent Policy

Wed Jun 2 05:06:56 UTC 2010

LINGUIST List: Vol-21-2430. Wed Jun 02 2010. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 21.2430, FYI: Arizona Department of Education Accent Policy

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Rachelle Felzien <rachelle at linguistlist.org>

Date: 29-May-2010
From: Mike Hammond < hammond at u.arizona.edu >

Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 01:06:13
From: Mike Hammond [hammond at u.arizona.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=21-2430.html&submissionid=2636074&topicid=6&msgnumber=1

The faculty of the Department of Linguistics at the University of Arizona
formulated the following statement:

http://www.u.arizona.edu/~hammond/ling_statement_final.pdf

This was sent to the governor and superintendent of public instruction
under the following letter.

***

Dear Governor Brewer and Superintendent Horne:

I am attaching a statement prepared by our faculty in response to the news

that ''the Arizona Department of Education recently began telling school

districts that teachers whose spoken English it deems to be heavily

accented or ungrammatical must be removed from classes for students still

learning English.''

As scientists, as educators, as citizens, and as state employees, we feel

it is our duty to provide the scientific facts that are relevant so that

state leaders and citizens can make informed decisions.

If there's anything we can do to help or clarify this, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Mike Hammond

Head, Linguistics

U. of Arizona

Linguistic Field(s): Discipline of Linguistics